2002 suburban does it have latch (merged thread)

AK11161217

I'm buying a 2002 suburban Vin number 3gnfk16z42g263601

I thought all 2002s had latch but now I'm finding information saying some do not. Is there any way of know by the Vin if it was manufactured late enough in the year to have latch? Thanks in advance!

Edit to add: found out it was manufactured February 2002 so likely no lower anchors but is there a way to retrofit?

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
ADS

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Re: 2002 suburban does it have latch

The LATCH manual states that "Early 2002 Suburbans" were equipped with top tether anchors in some seating positions (all second row positions and the third row center) but no lower LATCH anchors at all. "Late 2002 Suburbans" have full LATCH (lower LATCH anchors and a top tether anchor) for each second row outboard seating position and a third row center top tether anchor. The LATCH manual doesn't state at which 2002 model year production date the 2002 Suburbans had factory equipped full LATCH phased in for its second row outboard seating positions, though, so there unfortunately isn't a surefire way to correlate/decode the VIN or car's actual production date (the car's date of manufacture is probably on a label inside a driver's side door jamb or under the hood) to determine if it's a LATCH equipped "late 2002" model or not. The specific vehicle's owner's manual might indicate when/if full LATCH was phased in but that could be omitted info. if GM didn't do an ongoing update of the manual in the midst of the Suburban's 2002 model year.:eek: IMHO the surer way would be to check the vehicle's second row in person to verify whether or not it has lower LATCH anchors in the second row outboard seating positions before deciding on the vehicle purchase. :twocents:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member

SUVs/trucks can and do vary and weren't all phased in with sets of LATCH as soon as passenger cars, like the 2002 Suburban models evidently.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

I had the date wrong. It's cars made after 9/1/02 that would be guaranteed to have it.

I'm aware it was phased in before and not always regularly. I was trying to provide OP with the hard guarantee date. :)

AK11161217

The LATCH manual states that "Early 2002 Suburbans" were equipped with top tether anchors in some seating positions (all second row positions and the third row center) but no lower LATCH anchors at all. "Late 2002 Suburbans" have full LATCH (lower LATCH anchors and a top tether anchor) for each second row outboard seating position and a third row center top tether anchor. The LATCH manual doesn't state at which 2002 model year production date the 2002 Suburbans had factory equipped full LATCH phased in for its second row outboard seating positions, though, so there unfortunately isn't a surefire way to correlate/decode the VIN or car's actual production date (the car's date of manufacture is probably on a label inside a driver's side door jamb or under the hood) to determine if it's a LATCH equipped "late 2002" model or not. The specific vehicle's owner's manual might indicate when/if full LATCH was phased in but that could be omitted info. if GM didn't do an ongoing update of the manual in the midst of the Suburban's 2002 model year.:eek: IMHO the surer way would be to check the vehicle's second row in person to verify whether or not it has lower LATCH anchors in the second row outboard seating positions before deciding on the vehicle purchase. :twocents:

Thank you. This clarified everything perfectly. Either way I'm buying it cuz I'm getting a good deal from someone I trust who used to be a mechanic and looked it over thoroughly. My husband already looked it over as well. I just didn't think to ask him to check for latch. Either way I'll find out Wednesday after I actually have it and going to find out manufacturing date beforehand if I get the chance. :)
Posted via Mobile Device

AK11161217

Suburban seat compatibility (merged thread)

Can I replace the nonlatch anchor equipped seats in an 02 suburban with a seat from a newer model?
Posted via Mobile Device

katymyers

Re: Suburban seat compatibility

I don't think the second row seats are removable like the third row ones are so I don't think that's something that's possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AK11161217

Can I replace the nonlatch anchor equipped seats in an 02 suburban with a seat from a newer model?
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you. So the newer ones don't have latch anchors in the back row anyways? If it doesn't then it's not even worth me looking into I suppose. Lol. I was only planning on using with a booster anyways so no big deal. Kids will just have to buckle the boosters in when not in use instead.
Posted via Mobile Device

katymyers

Re: Suburban seat compatibility

No, there's just two sets of lower anchors in the second row and top tether anchors in 2-3 depending on whether it's a bench seat or just the two captains chairs. The third row has no lower anchors and just one top tether anchor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC