Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

7 vs 8 seat Sienna/Odyssey

Looking to purchase a minivan. We will have 3 kids, one in a HHB and one in a 5Pt harness for 4+ years. Are the 8th seats usable and worth the extra cost? We would not need it on a regular basis but I'm thinking it might be nice to have for carpooling and when relatives come to visit. Thought?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: 7 vs 8 seat Sienna/Odyssey

On a 2011+ Odyssey, yes! We have ours removed right now (3 kids, all still harnessed there) but removed it with the last car seat shuffle, and might put it back with the next one.

For me at least I would never regret getting the 8 seater but I might regret not getting that 8th seat.
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Senior Community Member krasota's Avatar

Our extra seat is used on a regular basis in our 2012 Ody. My husband sometimes sits there when we're traveling with family. My big kid likes to sit there when his sister isn't in the car so that he can see out front. Sometimes I have the rear row folded down and need the whole middle row for my two + an extra kid.
    Ronan (04/07) five steps!
    Aenea (03/12) FF RXT

If you're getting one of those vans and already have 3 kids, I think you might as well go for the 8p. For usable 8th seats, you want 04-10 Sienna or '11+ Odyssey.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

7. Thank You from:

Another nice 8p van option is the '15+ Sedona.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

9. Thank You from: