Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Carseat for Mazda 3 - Lightweight, Easy Installing Convertible or All-in-One Carseat?

My parents want to buy a lightweight rear-facing convertible or all-in-one car seat for a Mazda 3 for my daughter. We currently have an Evenflo SureRide for ourselves, but it takes up a lot of space rear-facing, so they want to buy their own.

My daughter's "specs":
    Weight: about 25 pounds, maybe a more
    Height: about 35 or 36 inches, at least
    She was born early and quite small and is still very underweight but her height has caught up nicely with her peers. She is very thin and much of her height is in her legs.

We want a seat that will rear face for a while, until age 4 at least (and she's already at the height limit for some rear-facing car seats). Preferably, one she could stay in forward facing until age 5 at least would be good too.

It's also very important the car seat is lightweight (under 15 pounds I guess) and also easy to install - my mother has mild arthritis and they don't want to keep it in the car all the time so she needs to be able to install it and take it out.

Any suggestions appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

The Britax clicktight seats might fit the bill. Although releasing the clicktight mechanism might be a little finicky for your mom. The Graco size4me, headwise, etc should work. Here's a guide to all the Graco seats. I haven't tried installing one, but gracos are generally very easy installs. And they would be a lot lighter than the Britax seats.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

CPS Fanatic

Re: Carseat for Mazda 3 - Lightweight, Easy Installing Convertible or All-in-One Carseat?

Britax seats also don't qualify as lightweight.

Also, while that image of the Graco convertibles is generally AWESOME there are a few details that are out of date. Some of the prices have come down, and the Contender is not a Walmart exclusive anymore.

Re: Carseat for Mazda 3 - Lightweight, Easy Installing Convertible or All-in-One Carseat?

Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    Britax seats also don't qualify as lightweight.

Also, while that image of the Graco convertibles is generally AWESOME there are a few details that are out of date. Some of the prices have come down, and the Contender is not a Walmart exclusive anymore.
    LOL, yeah, I missed the lightweight part. Sorry.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)

I was just looking at the specs on the Scenera NEXT, and that might actually be a good option for you. It fits most of the requirements: RF to 40lb and 40", so you would have another 4-5 inches of growth which would hopefully get you another year. It is also super light. It's not going to get you super far forward-facing (43"), but for $45, you can afford to get a combination seat when the time comes for that.

The only downside is that, while I have heard it is easy to install, I think it has the standard LATCH hooks, so not ideal for someone with Arthritis. A Seatbelt install might be easier.
    Big Boy G: 11/6/2012, 53lb/49", Evenflo Procomfort RightFit HBB, Evenflo Big Kid HBB
    Little Bro C - 12/4/2015, 32lb/38" Graco Nautilus 65 Safety Surround, Graco Atlas 65
    Extra Seats: Graco Nautilus 65, Cosco Apt 50, Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Turbobooster NBB, Cosco Rise NBB

Carseat for Mazda 3 - Lightweight, Easy Installing Convertible or All-in-One ...

I would get a Scenera NEXT and install it with a seatbelt. I think it fits the bill pretty well.

How often does your daughter ride with your parents? If it isn't all that frequently, you might consider having her forward-face in their vehicle. An Evenflo Securekid is a lightweight, easy-to-install forward-facing seat that would turn into a booster later on. It has "Surelatch" connectors which make it very easy for someone with limited strength to get a tight install.

I have struggled to find good seats for my children's grandparents too -- for us, the best solution seems to be the Britax G4.1 seats. They are easy to install and not all that heavy (they are not "light" but they are lighter than a lot of other seats). The NEXT was one of their favorites, but it would over recline in their vehicle for some reason and so it wasn't the best solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding in a Diono Everett booster, in a Chicco MyFit in BPB mode, and a Graco Slimfit in BPB mode)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding FF in a Graco Milestone, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)

Whether or not the Next is a viable option would depend on her exact height. It has a 40" height limit.

Do they have a Mazda 3 hatchback or sedan?
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT

Unregistered

Thanks for all the suggestions! Sorry for my delayed reply, we went away for the weekend

Their Mazda 3 is a sedan.

I do want to keep my daughter rear-facing all the time until age 4 at least, even on infrequent or short trips - she has some joint problems and low muscle tone, so I feel that rear-facing her is extra important in the even of a crash, since her joints are so unstable already.

The Scenera Next might be a good option - it wasn't out yet when we bought our SureRide so I didn't even know about it! I agree that the seat belt would be an easier install with arthritis, especially if they want to to take it out - latch hooks are a real pain to remove IMO.

Graco is good to check out too - that chart was helpful, they have so many options it is overwhelming. Do you think that, rear-facing, any of them would last longer than s car seat with a 40" rear-facing limit, since I read that now they don't have a rear-facing standing height limit, but a seated one (and most of my daughter's height is in her legs)? Anyone have experience on this?

Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Graco is good to check out too - that chart was helpful, they have so many options it is overwhelming. Do you think that, rear-facing, any of them would last longer than s car seat with a 40" rear-facing limit, since I read that now they don't have a rear-facing standing height limit, but a seated one (and most of my daughter's height is in her legs)? Anyone have experience on this?

Thanks again!

The Contender and all of the Graco "clones" (in other words, all of them except the MyRide) will last significantly longer RF -- it's basically impossible to outgrow them by height before reaching the 40 lbs weight limit. They are great for children who carry more height in their legs. If you are at all concerned that she might get too tall for the NEXT, I'd probably opt for a Contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding in a Diono Everett booster, in a Chicco MyFit in BPB mode, and a Graco Slimfit in BPB mode)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding FF in a Graco Milestone, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)

12. Thank You from:

Another plus to the Gracos is that they'll also last a while forward-facing. The Next is outgrown forward facing before it's outgrown rear-facing, so it's basically a rear-facing-only seat.

One thing about the Graco "clones" (Size4Me, Fit4Me, MySize and Headwise) and the Contender, is that the headrest goes "back" as it goes up as the child gets taller. So it takes up progressively more front to back space as time goes on. If you test-install one in their car to try it out, be sure to try the higher headrest settings in addition to the one currently appropriate for her.

The Graco Extend2Fit, Milestone and 4Ever are also very very tall, but their headrests go "up" rather than "back." Their respective RF weight limits are 50 lbs, 40 lbs, 40 lbs. You could rear-face her probably til she's 6 or 7 in the Extend2Fit.

The Contender weighs 14.7 lbs but it has the basic hook-style LATCH connectors. All of the other seats I've mentioned have the premium push-on connectors. The Extend2Fit weighs 18.4 lbs. The Milestone and 4Ever weigh more and turn into boosters down the line.
    Mom to tall guy, 6, in a Frontier 90 and Graco Affix
    - - - and small guy (not so small any more!), 3, RFing in a Clek Fllo and Cosco Scenera NEXT