Gender Specific Fabrics

rin2809

Has anyone else noticed that when different patterns of seats go on sale, it tends to be the "girly" ones that are the least expensive? I am casually looking for another convertible and all of the good deals I find on Amazon are only for the pink and purple seats.

Not that I would mind a purple seat since I love the color, but not sure how my boys would feel about it down the road...

ADS

abigaylebelle

I have also noticed this. The same holds true for kids jackets. I think a lot of people buy the "neutral" color for girls as well as boys, but rarely do boys get the "girl" color.

Although I will say that my 9 year old boy and his friends have happily ridden in the purple Argos. None of them have complained about the color or the flowered trim.
Posted via Mobile Device

rin2809

Maybe it's because I just have boys, but if I had a girl, I think everything would be cute and pink/purple!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I as a mom to girls am overwhelmed with pink and purple. I used to detest pink and refuse to buy it. Now I have kids old enough to choose, the pink long ago gained critical mass to crush my soul-deep loathing. Ah well.

thepote

Lol, and as someone with a girl after three boys she definitely has girly car seats. I was so tired of boring colors :p

krasota

I noticed a lot of boring colors on sale, too. Brown and tan. Never red or orange.

My son looooooved pink until he was 6 or so. So one of our boosters is pink with geometric flowers. I picked a plum radian (on sale) for my daughter because I love purple, but that's totally gender neutral, as far as I'm concerned.

momtoo3

My boys have been against anything at all girly. So having dd after 3 boys I am all about the girly seats. All seats I buy for the kids I watch are girly (well I got a bundle pack of two Nexts and one was flowers the other bright blue.) I figure I'm buying them and they rarely use them because we hardly go out but I never know when I will need a back up seat for dd so I may as well get what I want for her. If they had an opinion I would take that into consideration but they are 7 months and 17 months. Dd has a limelight advocate click tight with a spare kaleidoscope cover and a cactus flower MA70 as her primary seats. We probably have an even amount of neutral/boyish seats and girly seats now.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
We have two pink seats, two purple seats, one blue seat, and two black/grey seats. The neutral colors are probably better for resale, but I just buy whatever color I like best and/or is cheapest. I like picking up spare covers anyway, so it's not like the color has to be permanent. I think my husband was surprised when he saw the pink Milestone yesterday, but we have two girls and he's more firm than I am about being done having kids, so I am ready to just buy whatever stuff I like best and not worry about its usability for a boy anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katymyers

I have never bought a gender specific seat. The only piece of baby gear I've ever bought for any of my kids that wasn't gender neutral was Ella's Pack n Play and an umbrella stroller I picked up at Walmart to use temporarily. I just don't have any desire to be surrounded by pink. I haven't even decorated Ella's room with any pink and it's her favorite color, I did mint green and red strawberries.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My daughter's favorite color is Brown -- so she didn't get her favorite color either. [emoji6]It's not so much that I wanted her to have pink and purple, but just that I wanted to have *something* fun in my car. I wish more manufacturers made green, blue, teal, red seats instead of just black/grey.

MamaChirpy

I really would have preferred colored covers. Like boy stuff for boys and girly prints for girls. However, up until now I have ordered the majority of my seats from Amazon. And they offer "neutrals" more often. So I started out getting mostly blacks and grays to match my vehicle interior and also because that's what was offered. So now I have 3 girls and a boy. And only ONE (out of 6) of our seats has purple trim. (Our newborn seat has teal trim but it was only purchased for my youngest.) I really didn't want the purple trim on that one because 1. It doesn't match all the blacks. 2. I may have a boy next time.

Now I wish I had bought for each specific child and skipped all this black!!!! But hind sight is 20/20. [emoji16]

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
Having the opposite problem here, lol. My friend, her daughter, and myself all want the Kaleidoscope fabric on the Frontier my friend is buying but the seat will eventually go to my friend's youngest...a boy :(

Love that fabric.

Dillipop

Having the opposite problem here, lol. My friend, her daughter, and myself all want the Kaleidoscope fabric on the Frontier my friend is buying but the seat will eventually go to my friend's youngest...a boy :(

Love that fabric.

I bought a kaleidoscope boulevard for my kids. 5 year old girl is using it now but it was purchased for my 10 mo old son when he's ready for it.

shellebelle

Senior Community Member
I bought a kaleidoscope boulevard for my kids. 5 year old girl is using it now but it was purchased for my 10 mo old son when he's ready for it.

Oh, I told my friend to buy it anyway because that little boy is going to be so accustomed to pink and sparkles (I'm one of those scary new age people who doesn't force gender norms on kids either). It's not even that bad - just a pink dot here and there - but my friend's husband shot it down anyway :( The consolation prize is that they're getting a Cowmoo :D

melissa621

I hate hate hate all the blacks and grays and that's all they seem to sell in stores. I guess that's what everyone likes.

I have a boy, so until we got out Foonfs (Tokidoki and Paul Frank) we just had a lot of boring colors. If I ever have a girl, I'll be buying all the hot pink car seats. Haha.

Kobain's Mommy

My son's CCO was pink till I got a red cover for it. He also had a pink FR85 till I changed to a cow one. He survived both of them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC