Oh man...i chose the wrong seat

MomWithKid

So i received our travel seat today at 5 pm and our flight leaves tomorrow at 7am.
The problem is, its a cosco scenera next in blue and it has barely any padding. Sigh. My 3.5 ds complains that his butt hurts with the Foonf. We have an hour drive to the airport and then a 6 hour plane ride that we were planning on him sitting in the seat.
Is there any way to make the seat cushier??
There is no way he will sleep in the hard seat yet alone not complain about it. He is super thin and has close to zero butt fat.
Sigh.
Any suggestions?

ADS

MomWithKid

I guess im just wishing i would have just bought another combi coccoro (13 month old will be using) and forward faced the 3.5 year old in a other combi.
I bought the scenera next because i wanted him rear facing for travel but i am so worried that he is going to be umcomfortable for the six hour flight. Poor guy.
Can i put any seat liner in there? Or a thin muslin blanket? Maybe i can put extra padding while he is using the seat on the plane but not on the road?

jacqui276

I'm not a tech but I would be comfortable adding a bit of padding for the flight, but take it out on the road. Have him try sitting in the seat too, it may surprise you and he might not complain. I haven't tried the next but my kids never had any issues in the regular Scenera, but I have had complains in other seats.

featherhead

I guess im just wishing i would have just bought another combi coccoro (13 month old will be using) and forward faced the 3.5 year old in a other combi.
I bought the scenera next because i wanted him rear facing for travel but i am so worried that he is going to be umcomfortable for the six hour flight. Poor guy.
Can i put any seat liner in there? Or a thin muslin blanket? Maybe i can put extra padding while he is using the seat on the plane but not on the road?

Yeah, I would only do it for the plane. A muslin blanket would probably work well.

Qarin

It may also be that the different shape of the seat means he sits differently and it doesn't bother him at all... you never know!

brightredmtn

I guess im just wishing i would have just bought another combi coccoro (13 month old will be using) and forward faced the 3.5 year old in a other combi. I bought the scenera next because i wanted him rear facing for travel but i am so worried that he is going to be umcomfortable for the six hour flight. Poor guy. Can i put any seat liner in there? Or a thin muslin blanket? Maybe i can put extra padding while he is using the seat on the plane but not on the road?

You could put your 13 month old RF in the Next and FF your 3.5 in the Coccoro.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I would bring something to add cushion to the seat for the plane, but I wouldn't assume that it will be needed. I thought for sure my daughter would be less comfortable in the blue NEXT, but she has fallen asleep in it with no problem. She is a skinny thing too.

I also agree with brightredmtn, if the situation gets touchy, you could also just switch their seats and have your DS FF in the coccoro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MomWithKid

Hooray! We did a 6 hour flight with the blue cosco scenera next and no complaints. We have been driving around with it in our rental and our 3.5 year old who doesnt nap anymore actually fell asleep in it for 90 minutes. He has not complained about the seat once. I had ordered the combi coccoro seat and had it waiting at our destination but i shipped it back to diapers.com since it doesnt seem my 3.5 year old has a problem with the comfort of the seat. Somehow i still feel badly about it but i decided since he isn't saying anything, best to keep him rear facing in it over switching him forward facing in the coccoro.

But i do have one question. We flew over in business, but our next two flights are in coach on Delta and on Virgin America. I am hoping that the cosco next will fit rear facing on these flights.
When i happened to test out a forward facing install of the cosco next on our first flight, i realized that the plane buckle would go directly on the back of the child. How on earth could that work for the child??

Has anyone installed the cosco next forward facing on the plane? How did you do it with that buckle in the way?

And does anyone know if the cosco scenera next fits rear facing on the smaller virgin america and delta planes? Thanks.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That happens with a lot of seats. Most kids don't care. If they do you cushion it with a blanket.

The NEXT is so small when very upright it fits almost anywhere.

MomWithKid

Just wanted to say that we ended up having a great experience with the cosco scenera next.
He spent long hours in it and took long naps.
He never complained about his butt hurting once.
Meanwhile, at home he complains about his butt hurting in the Foonf after 15 minutes.

U

Unregistered

Hooray! We did a 6 hour flight with the blue cosco scenera next and no complaints. We have been driving around with it in our rental and our 3.5 year old who doesnt nap anymore actually fell asleep in it for 90 minutes. He has not complained about the seat once. I had ordered the combi coccoro seat and had it waiting at our destination but i shipped it back to diapers.com since it doesnt seem my 3.5 year old has a problem with the comfort of the seat. Somehow i still feel badly about it but i decided since he isn't saying anything, best to keep him rear facing in it over switching him forward facing in the coccoro.

But i do have one question. We flew over in business, but our next two flights are in coach on Delta and on Virgin America. I am hoping that the cosco next will fit rear facing on these flights.
When i happened to test out a forward facing install of the cosco next on our first flight, i realized that the plane buckle would go directly on the back of the child. How on earth could that work for the child??

Has anyone installed the cosco next forward facing on the plane? How did you do it with that buckle in the way?

And does anyone know if the cosco scenera next fits rear facing on the smaller virgin america and delta planes? Thanks.

I realize this was YEARS ago but I just came across your thread. I'm about to take a 9+ hour flight with my almost 2yo daughter and am contemplating a Scenera Next purchase. Did you end up having to do a forward facing flight like you thought you would? I read that we will have to be forward facing for our flight.

MelodyoftheForest

If you are flying within the US, you can RF in the Next on the plane. Other airlines in other countries can have different rules, but US rules allow RF of the seat fits. Since the Next can be as upright as needed for kids who can sit up on their own, it’s a great candidate for a RF toddler on a plane!

U

Unregistered

If you are flying within the US, you can RF in the Next on the plane. Other airlines in other countries can have different rules, but US rules allow RF of the seat fits. Since the Next can be as upright as needed for kids who can sit up on their own, it’s a great candidate for a RF toddler on a plane!

We are flying abroad on AirFrance and then another flight on AirEuropa to Spain. I'm pretty sure the fine print says we have to be forward facing :(

MelodyoftheForest

I would call the airline, maybe a few times, to make sure you have accurate information.

The Next works well FF as well, but wouldn’t as comfortable that way on a long flight. The top slots are low, but high enough for most toddlers to FF.

There is a Graco seat that has a FF belt path away from the child’s back, which might be a good option. I will see if it’s a current model and edit this, unless someone jumps in who knows.

Edited to add: It looks like the Contender, the Size4Me/Head Wise/MySize, and the My Ride are all still available on the Graco website. These seats all have a separate FF belt path rather than going right behind the child's back. The Contender is often a great travel seat, as it is pretty light weight. The My Ride is often outgrown the fastest of these, but it has a deeper recline FF. This could be an advantage on a long flight, or it could take up too much space, leaving little room for the kid's legs. I don't know where else you might be able to find these seats, but the Contender is kind of pricey on the Graco website, so you might be able to find a better deal elsewhere if you want one.

Last edited:
U

Unregistered

I would call the airline, maybe a few times, to make sure you have accurate information.

The Next works well FF as well, but wouldn’t as comfortable that way on a long flight. The top slots are low, but high enough for most toddlers to FF.

There is a Graco seat that has a FF belt path away from the child’s back, which might be a good option. I will see if it’s a current model and edit this, unless someone jumps in who knows.

Edited to add: It looks like the Contender, the Size4Me/Head Wise/MySize, and the My Ride are all still available on the Graco website. These seats all have a separate FF belt path rather than going right behind the child's back. The Contender is often a great travel seat, as it is pretty light weight. The My Ride is often outgrown the fastest of these, but it has a deeper recline FF. This could be an advantage on a long flight, or it could take up too much space, leaving little room for the kid's legs. I don't know where else you might be able to find these seats, but the Contender is kind of pricey on the Graco website, so you might be able to find a better deal elsewhere if you want one.

Those look great but unfortunately we're limited to max 17in width. I will call to double check rf vs ff

MelodyoftheForest

Airplanes generally have armrests that tip up out of the way, giving you more room for a car seat. They always say 17”, but it’s really more flexible than that. I have a SureRide as my travel seat, and it is no problem with the armrest up.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC