Need a new seat soon.

mom2juliarose

DS is 5y2m and riding in an R100 in my car and a Radian 65 in DH's car. Unfortunately, the crotch buckle is really short and snug on him now. :( It's OK for brief periods of time, and he's only in DH's car once a week, so we'll keep him in the Radian 65 until it expires in September, and then I feel comfortable moving him to a dedicated booster (he'll be 2 months shy of 6 then) in that car since it's used so little.

We'll use the R100 for the baby in DH's car. We have him in a NextFit in my car. I think what I'd like is a harnessed booster seat that actually makes a good booster. The Nautilus? I'm not sure we have the $$ for a Britax. What else might work? It would also be nice if it had a long-ish life so that we could pass it down to the baby when the R100 expires in 2020 (he'll be 5).

I need to check his stats. He's about 3/4-1/2" below the top slots on the R100, he weighs 45 pounds, and is tall with an average torso, for some reference.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What vehicle and space constraints are you dealing with?

The Defender, SecureKid, or Tranzitions may all work for you... I don't know about comparative crotch strap lengths though.

rin2809

I have loved our Nautilus/Argos seats that we have for my son. We have only ever used them in harness mode, so I can't speak personally to the booster functionality, but have heard good things. I feel like there is plenty of room in the crotch strap, but my kid is also ridiculously skinny, so I may not be the best gauge for you on that.

We have also had good luck with the Harmony Defender that DS uses in Grandma's car. To me, it lacks a few of the nicer features of the Nautilus: Recline (what little there is), nice cup holders and storage cubbies, and better headwings. But it seems to be comfortable.

cookie123

Doesn't the Radian have a longer crotch strap available? You could go that route until expiration. Then maybe go for a High back booster seat if he's close enough to 6 that you're comfortable.

mom2juliarose

Doesn't the Radian have a longer crotch strap available? You could go that route until expiration. Then maybe go for a High back booster seat if he's close enough to 6 that you're comfortable.

We has the longer crotch strap on the Radian. It's the same length as the R100 one. We will get him a HBB for that car when the Radian expires (although it is snug, he uses it so infrequently that he can survive for 7 months).

I just want something that works well as a booster AND a harnessed seat, so I don't have to buy a booster for my car so soon.

The car I need it for is a 2013 Odyssey but it can be for any seating position.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm sure you know, but even the combination seats that do perfectly well as a booster aren't going to ever be as easy to use as a dedicated booster buckling wise and all. (Performance Sport possible exception, but I don't like IT in harness mode!) they just tend to be larger and more awkwardly shaped (and due to their heavier weight I personally prefer only to use them with LATCH.)

mom2juliarose

I'm sure you know, but even the combination seats that do perfectly well as a booster aren't going to ever be as easy to use as a dedicated booster buckling wise and all. (Performance Sport possible exception, but I don't like IT in harness mode!) they just tend to be larger and more awkwardly shaped (and due to their heavier weight I personally prefer only to use them with LATCH.)

I know. I'm just having a hard time convincing DH that we should get a new seat for him... he's like, "Why not just put him in a booster?" I'm going to see how long we can go with the crotch buckle being snug... It's hard to get him in but he's not complaining YET that it hurts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC