How does she look? (5 step related)

veggiegirl228

The photo collage is from my car, 04 Accord and the lap part only is from DH's car, 04' pilot (everywhere else looks good). How does she look? (she's nearly 10, 73 lbs and 4'7")

Last edited:
ADS

veggiegirl228

That is an option, her safety is #1. I don't feel she is far but not ready in the Accord (slope seats mainly) but his car looks close.

veggiegirl228

I more interested in how she looks with the single photo (blue dot pants). My car is close but not there yet (idea of roughly how long in the collage?).

featherhead

I more interested in how she looks with the single photo (blue dot pants). My car is close but not there yet (idea of roughly how long in the collage?).

That picture does look a bit better than the one with the pink pants. It's hard to tell if the lap belt is low enough. I would check to see if you can feel her hip bones above the lap belt.

Athena

I'm no expert, but it looks high and she's only 55", right? I'd get the incognito and check her again when she's closer to 5 feet tall. HTH.

veggiegirl228

That picture does look a bit better than the one with the pink pants. It's hard to tell if the lap belt is low enough. I would check to see if you can feel her hip bones above the lap belt.

I will check when get in the car later this morning to

I'm no expert, but it looks high and she's only 55", right? I'd get the incognito and check her again when she's closer to 5 feet tall. HTH.

Yes 55". I will look into the Incognito then.

Thanks all :)

Athena

Like I said, I'm definitely not an expert, but we've found the incognito useful during those in between years/inches. I have a kid who just exceeded the 60" height limit though, so I just posted my own thread asking for opinions. If you or anyone else wants to post there :D, opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks!
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=282650

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I have never seen a single 5 stepper with the belt so flat on the thigh that a cup of water wouldn't spill.

Ya my belts don't fit me like that. I swear I haven't seen it on an adult. I don't quite get why she has that as a required with all of her experience.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Ya my belts don't fit me like that. I swear I haven't seen it on an adult. I don't quite get why she has that as a required with all of her experience.

As much as I like the CSL, I think she often exaggerates the rules because she knows they will be bent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Leah looks like that now, I poked for her hip bone and it was above the belt. She's 58" and in 10/12 pants, feet flat, butt back. I still mostly use the incognito because it seems like she could lean or slouch and the belt might ride up on a long drive.

So yeah, close, but if her booster still fits, don't retire it completely for another couple inches.

featherhead

I have never seen a single 5 stepper with the belt so flat on the thigh that a cup of water wouldn't spill.

I think that could only happen with really forward of the bight belts. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure the belt will always be angled.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Some of the stuff CSL says hurts her credibility, IMO (like refusal to teach the pinch test.). I'd never seen that water cup thing, but it's not accurate.

We want low on the hips, touching the thighs. Where the belt is on the sides in the blue dot pic is good. But in the center it is a bit high. It could also be that the angle is awkward. Any chance of a straight on shot?

bnsnyde

I too think Incognito. My 9.5 YO is 75 lbs. and 57" or maybe a tad more by now. We might be using it for some time, closer to 5 feet.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It does. Based on that view, I'd be comfortable with it in a pinch. I'd probably send a kid away from a seat check like that and lose no sleep over it.

For everyday use, I am of the "use a booster until they fit better without" mentality (something that I heard recently is supported by research from UMTRI, though I've never seen the study itself so take it with a grain of salt.) Based on that I'd still opt for Incognito, but it looks much lower in that one, actually in contact with the thighs, which is where we want it.

Interested in the input of others, though.

MelodyoftheForest

I think it is only online. It looks pretty good to me. My friend's daughter recently 5-stepped in their cars, and that looks like it did on her. Honestly, it looks about like my belt fit in most cars!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC