Borrowing latch and Graco

lourdes

So, I was reading on the carseatlady site about what seats allow borrowing and read that Graco allow it except on the MySize 70 and all seats with inrigidlatch so I read the Forever manual and it just says latch sistem, so what are those inrigidlatch? Which seats have them? I had read here that the new e2f doesn't allow borrowing
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

1mommy

I think she means Rigid Latch, like on the fllo/foonf, nuna pippa. I think they're are more but can't remember. Basically instead of a seat belt type latch system it has 2 metal bars with latch connectors at the end. Hope that makes sense, really I thought most seats do not allow latch borrowing, and even for the ones that do they have restrictions like the lower anchors can't be too close or too far apart. I think both the car seat and the car manual have to allow it.

1mommy

Oh wait, I think the fllo doesn't have rigid latch, I'm on my phone and I have a badly cracked screen so please forgive my typos.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It's called InRight LATCH and it's Graco's trademarked deluxe LATCH connector. Graco doesn't feel comfortable with their deluxe LATCH connectors being used on lower anchors that are set more than the standard 11" apart. My sense was that they had tested it and didn't like the results.

lourdes

Yes I understand that, but my question is which are those Graco seats that have them? Because she mention the MySize 70 but to me the 70 has the same latch connector as the 65 or the Headwise or the Forever, you know what I am talking about? Or is it another type of connectors I haven't seen, when I read the Forever manual they just called the latch latch but I do know that the Contender has a different type of latch

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes I understand that, but my question is which are those Graco seats that have them? Because she mention the MySize 70 but to me the 70 has the same latch connector as the 65 or the Headwise or the Forever, you know what I am talking about? Or is it another type of connectors I haven't seen, when I read the Forever manual they just called the latch latch but I do know that the Contender has a different type of latch

The Contender, MyRide, combination seats, and (I think) most of the infant seats have hook-style latch connectors, so those would be fine to borrow, if I am understanding Graco's policy correctly. The Size4Me (and other clones), Milestone, 4Ever, Extend2Fit all have InRight LATCH connectors, so you wouldn't be able to borrow with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnsnyde

Interesting. I never even looked at the latch on our Extend 2 Fit as I pretty much only use latch for infant seats.

lourdes

That's the thing, the Forever manual doesn't called them inrightlatch and it doesn't say either you can't borrow

lourdes

So, I am suppose to follow a rule that's not in the writing manual? Some manuals state the 11 inch rule, that one doesn't, at least I didn't find it

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So, I am suppose to follow a rule that's not in the writing manual? Some manuals state the 11 inch rule, that one doesn't, at least I didn't find it

The default is always to only use dedicated LATCH positions. Some manuals specify a required width in order for borrowing to be allowed. If the manual does not mention borrowing at all, it is assumed that you should only be using dedicated lower anchor positions.

My understanding is that it is kind of the same with pool noodles -- some manufacturers don't allow them,but they don't necessarily directly say you can't use pool noodles in the manual -- they just don't mention them at all and the assumption is that if they didn't tell you to do it, you shouldn't be doing it.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That's the thing, the Forever manual doesn't called them inrightlatch and it doesn't say either you can't borrow

The 4Ever manual also states:

" If you want to use the center rear seat and LATCH is not available in that position (check the vehicle owner’s manual), try the seat belt to be sure you can get a tight installation. If you cannot, try using LATCH in a different seating position. Remember to only use LATCH in seating positions recommended by your vehicle manufacturer."

"InRight" is also just a trademarked phrase that Graco uses for premium push-on connectors, so it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't be used in the manual itself. It's more of a marketing thing than a technical thing. The 4Ever does have them, though -- they are referenced in the product description. http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/4ever-all-in-1-car-seat-kylie.aspx

lourdes

The 4Ever manual also states: " If you want to use the center rear seat and LATCH is not available in that position (check the vehicle owner’s manual), try the seat belt to be sure you can get a tight installation. If you cannot, try using LATCH in a different seating position. Remember to only use LATCH in seating positions recommended by your vehicle manufacturer." "InRight" is also just a trademarked phrase that Graco uses for premium push-on connectors, so it doesn't surprise me that it wouldn't be used in the manual itself. It's more of a marketing thing than a technical thing. The 4Ever does have them, though -- they are referenced in the product description. http://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/4ever-all-in-1-car-seat-kylie.aspx Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
that's what I read, so my interpretation was, if the car allows it it's ok, because that's what I think it is says,
Remember to only use latch in seating positions recommend by your vehicle manufacturers
So if the vehicle says ok to use latch in the center then it's ok to use the Forvee according to this, that's how I interpreted this, does it makes sense?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC