Backless Booster on Vacation?

U

Unregistered

6yo (46", 45lbs) still 5pt harnessed in combo seats at home. Going on vacation and flying so need to either check car seats or rent them there. But he has 2 little sisters, so no matter what we have to check/rent 2 car seats. Question is, would he be safe in a backless booster just for vacation so that we aren't dealing with 3 seats? Any other advice/options? I've checked 2 car seats before and it was pretty miserable. 3 sounds unbearable. Thanks in advance.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If your six year old is booster ready, a backless (carried on board and stowed) would be fine.

For the other two, I'd bring their seats on board. I wouldn't rent a seat, since you have no idea the history. You don't know if they bleach it between uses, it was recalled 10 years ago and expired for six. That sort of thing.

I also don't trust the baggage handlers with my child's lifesaving device. It NEEDS to arrive in good condition on the other end. Not broken and not in a different city.

Also, if your kids are under 40 pounds the FAA recommends a seat on board since the lap belt doesn't often fit until about that point (about 38-43 pounds).

Do you need recommendations on how to get the two seats through the airport? Your six year old can carry their own backless booster.

Edit: https://scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn....-8/1052782_10200622176371418_1622688510_o.jpg That's my then 10 year old holding her own booster, my then three year old being pulled along in her seat on a folding luggage cart. I could have easily have had another carseat and child pulled along. We each had a backpack. Instead of a second carseat, I had two cats in shoulder totes. So it's definitely doable to get all of your stuff through the airport.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks. We have CARES harnesses for the younger two after struggling with installing car seats in-flight a few times. We've used the roller carts to pull the car seats when we did install on the plane, but getting them on and off to get through security was so difficult--and we didn't even have 3 at that point. I've never heard that checking car seats could damage them. Have people had that experience? Are there reputable car rental or other agencies where we could trust the car seats? Thanks again!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Everyone knows someone who has had luggage delayed, lost, or damaged. It's so common we don't need to go hunting for stories, they're all around us.

No, there are no reputable rental companies. You have to trust complete strangers that they followed every manual properly (both the rental company, and the people renting them), that they didn't have a minor crash and run so they don't have to pay, that every seat has been registered and any recalls have been fixed properly, that they keep on top of the expiration dates, plus then the poop/pee/puke/food that ends up in each one, and then how they clean it. Most people can barely keep up with their own seats, nevermind a room full of seats.

The CARES, while FAA approved, doesn't tighten the lap belt or have a crotch strap. The 44 pound limit means kids can only really fit in it for a few pounds, since the lap belt doesn't tighten until about 40 pounds. But they may hit the 40" limit before that point anyway. It's like suspenders on loose pants. The pants don't fall down, but they also don't fit.

Wendy

lgenne

What are the ages/heights/weights of the younger 2? And what car seats do you have for them? We might be able to suggest some affordable travel seats for them, potentially cheaper than renting, plus you know the whole history of the car seat.

bnsnyde

We've brought 4 carseats on a plane. They took a long time to install, lol, but hey it worked. Then I had to install them again in the rental van. We had kids ages baby, 2.5, 4 and 5. All had harnessed seats.

For you I'd bring a backless for the 6-year-old on vacation for the rental car, yes. And I would install 2 carseats on the plane for the little siblings.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC