Now I know why we say no 4-5 year olds in boosters

abigaylebelle

Today I drove a friend's five year old to school with my kids. I put her in the cybex X fix because I figured she would fit well and be comfortable in it. Halfway to school I look back and she has wiggled completely out of the seatbelt!

My own kid had never done this so I never knew what everyone was talking about when referring to booster readiness (my son was basically 40 years old at birth lol).

In the future I will make sure to install a harnessed seat for kids her age. Yikes.

ADS

Keeyamah

I always go over "the rules of my car" when I have a new kid in my car, any age, I have even given this talk my nephew and his friends and they are teenagers. Only way for them to know what you want/expect is to tell them.

abigaylebelle

Apparently this child rides in nothing on a regular basis. Sometimes she wears a seatbelt but no child seat.

When you go over the "rules" what exactly does that entail?

When I put my ds into a booster I told him to sit still and leave the seatbelt in place, do you tell all children this? What about kids in harnesses? My three year old knows how to buckle/unbuckle herself but I told her not to do it until we reach our destination and it hasn't been an issue. Should I tell another kid this? I don't want to overstep my bounds but I want kids to be safe in the car.

allmyboyz

Your car your rules. You are the one taking liability of the kids. Just tell them ok so I want you to be as safe as possible so you must do/not do xyz. A kid throws a fit which I don't really expect tell them they can't come. They say they don't have to do this anywhere else then you say well I feel it is safest to do this and I am driving.

Keeyamah

When you go over the "rules" what exactly does that entail?

In my car for the boostered kids, it's bum stays back, leave the seat belt alone, don't reach for anything you may drop, and don't lean out of position.

For the teenagers, it's put your seat belt on and sit all the way, facing front.

I've never had a harnessed child that could undo their own harness (either too young or not able to), but if they could, and I knew before we left, I would remind them not to touch it until I said they could or we reached our destination (depending on the destination, home vs elsewhere). If they undid it during the drive, it would mean a stern talking to.

All that said, I've not yet transported a child whose parent(s) I wasn't on good terms with and they knew ahead of time this would be happening.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC