Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question need a convertible carseat recommendation

I am needing a convertible carseat for my 14 month, 21 pound, average height (haven't measured lately) daughter. I want to ERF and have used Radians with my past 4 children. However, my van has a hard part in the seat bight that makes the Radians impossible to install even with the angle adjuster since the seat is very soft and the foot goes on the hard piece in the seat bight causing them to be too reclined. So, I need a seat that sits up on a base. I have been looking at Britax Marathon and Advocate as well as the Chicco NextFit and the zip version of that. I am finding I am a bit spoiled. I love the no twist straps on my radians and the cushy fabric and padding. I also love how easy it is to put a kiddo into them with the lower sides. My daughter is riding in the infant Cybex and she is about a 1/2 inch from outgrowing that seat in height and a pound from outgrowing it in weight since I can't make it sit up any higher than it already is on that seat. Bonus points for a car seat that could fit in one of my back seats but I'm not sure that will be possible. Can anyone help? I drive a Ford E350 15 passenger that was a shuttle van with seating for 12 - all high back captain's chairs.....

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: need a convertible carseat recommendation

Any of those seats would work for her, and all are considered comfortable.

I'd suggest going to Babies R Us and trying them out in your van, see what you like to install, what's easier in terms of getting her in and out, etc. The straps generally don't twist on them, and they're easy installs.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

CPS Fanatic

Re: need a convertible carseat recommendation

FWIW, my 3 year old was in a "plush" Radian and I got a Graco Milestone for the baby. The 3 year old claimed it, and now the baby is in the Radian. (He doesn't seem to have a preference.)