Question about pricing a used seat....

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
So I know the traditional formula for calculating the selling cost of a used car seat: purchase price/lifespan x years left until expiration

Does this still work on car seats with a 10 year expiration? If I bought a $100 car seat with a 10 year expiration, used it for a year, and then decided to sell it, could I really expect it to go for $90? At many retailers, you could get a new one for a bigger discount if it was on sale or you had a 15-20% off coupon.

I am asking because I have a Boulevard Clicktight that I am thinking about selling. I bought it for $296+tax and it has a DOM of 11/2014. According to the little calculation above, I should list it at $260, but it seems like it wouldn't move at that price. I mean, it is in great condition but it *is* used, so $36 off seems like a really small discount for a seat that isn't even new. Do/should seats with a long lifespan depreciate faster than the traditional calculation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

brightredmtn

It's really what your used seat market will handle. I'm trying to sell a Frontier with six years left on it for $99 which I think is reasonable and so far no bites.

featherhead

I don't think that formula has ever been realistic. It doesn't account for actual use, wear and tear. I've always asked for less.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, the formula is a nice staring point, but really that gives you the price of an UNUSED seat with X amount of time left (and even then it's still a really rough estimate). You'd still need to subtract something for wear and tear.

I've never really used the formula. I just pick a number that makes sense.

MamaChirpy

A good rule of thumb is to price things at what you would be willing to pay for them yourself.

I have a Nautilus that shows hardly any wear at all. I would pay about $75 for it. But then what about shipping??? I'm going to lose on it too much I'm pretty sure.

katymyers

I've never used the formula myself, I don't think it's realistic I mostly price things for about half what I paid for them, sometimes a little more or less depending on what it is and what kind of condition it's in. I sold my two year old B Safe for $50, if it'd been a cheaper seat I probably would have sold it for $30, if at all because I gave away my Graco Snugride 32 and 35 to people who needed them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC