Question 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan 2nd row bench & RF car seats!

mamabee

I'm going insane trying to think of options and would love any advice offered! I'll apologize in advance for the novel, but I want to ensure I'm covering everything.

We have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with 2nd row bench and currently have the following seats installed: Britax BSafe infant seat (RF, center LATCH) and a Britax Advocate Clicktight (RF with ARB, seatbelt install.)

I'm considering seats for when my five month old outgrows her infant seat. My 28 month old is currently in the Advocate, but her legs are SO squished. We had her in a Radian RXT before our new baby came along (center LATCH install, RF with angle adjuster) but I hated it because I could never get a rock solid install. I sold it and bought the Advocate but immediately regretted my choice because she had SO much more legroom RF in the Radian.

Now, I'm considering moving my 5 month old into the Advocate RF obviously (still outboard) and getting another Radian RXT for my 28 month old to install RF center with LATCH and vowed to get it professionally installed if I couldn't get the install tight enough for my liking... But then I remembered the LATCH max weight limit is 35lbs. My 28 month old is 30-31lbs now. I know a seatbelt install is an option but we also have two boys (9 & 13) who use the 3rd row bench so I'm assuming a seatbelt install in the center would make it super difficult to enter and exit the 3rd row.

Is my only option to install the Advocate in the center with LATCH (which sucks really, because I adore the Clicktight feature... I can get a rock solid install every single time) and seatbelt install the Radian outboard?

Also, hoping for other narrow car seat options (or just any RF seat that will fit beside the super wide Advocate)... I'm in Canada. I know the Radian fits in our vehicle. I tried a Clek Fllo RF center the other day and it was a BEAST and created a massive blind spot so that one is out for me. Any other options?

Wondering if perhaps I could put my 28 month old RF in the third row but I'd like to avoid that if possible for ease of getting her in and out.

Again, apologies for the length and a HUGE thank you to anyone that takes re time to read this whole post! Sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Mary_Ann

I'm going insane trying to think of options and would love any advice offered! I'll apologize in advance for the novel, but I want to ensure I'm covering everything.

We have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with 2nd row bench and currently have the following seats installed: Britax BSafe infant seat (RF, center LATCH) and a Britax Advocate Clicktight (RF with ARB, seatbelt install.)

I'm considering seats for when my five month old outgrows her infant seat. My 28 month old is currently in the Advocate, but her legs are SO squished. We had her in a Radian RXT before our new baby came along (center LATCH install, RF with angle adjuster) but I hated it because I could never get a rock solid install. I sold it and bought the Advocate but immediately regretted my choice because she had SO much more legroom RF in the Radian.

Now, I'm considering moving my 5 month old into the Advocate RF obviously (still outboard) and getting another Radian RXT for my 28 month old to install RF center with LATCH and vowed to get it professionally installed if I couldn't get the install tight enough for my liking... But then I remembered the LATCH max weight limit is 35lbs. My 28 month old is 30-31lbs now. I know a seatbelt install is an option but we also have two boys (9 & 13) who use the 3rd row bench so I'm assuming a seatbelt install in the center would make it super difficult to enter and exit the 3rd row.

Is my only option to install the Advocate in the center with LATCH (which sucks really, because I adore the Clicktight feature... I can get a rock solid install every single time) and seatbelt install the Radian outboard?

Also, hoping for other narrow car seat options (or just any RF seat that will fit beside the super wide Advocate)... I'm in Canada. I know the Radian fits in our vehicle. I tried a Clek Fllo RF center the other day and it was a BEAST and created a massive blind spot so that one is out for me. Any other options?

Wondering if perhaps I could put my 28 month old RF in the third row but I'd like to avoid that if possible for ease of getting her in and out.

Again, apologies for the length and a HUGE thank you to anyone that takes re time to read this whole post! Sorry!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi! I'm really not up to date with the LATCH limits, so take it with a grain of salt!

I would look at the Scenera NEXT which should provide more legroom for your daughter. It's so light, you should be good for a LATCH install. I wouldn't buy a Radian for an older child when you already have a great convertible for your baby. I really dislike my Radian forward facing, though it's one of my favourite rear facing seat.

When you said you couldn't get a good install with the Radian, were you only checking for movement at the belt path?

mamabee

Hi! I'm really not up to date with the LATCH limits, so take it with a grain of salt!

I would look at the Scenera NEXT which should provide more legroom for your daughter. It's so light, you should be good for a LATCH install. I wouldn't buy a Radian for an older child when you already have a great convertible for your baby. I really dislike my Radian forward facing, though it's one of my favourite rear facing seat.

When you said you couldn't get a good install with the Radian, were you only checking for movement at the belt path?

Thanks so much for your reply! I will check that seat out. I'm about to go do some research myself but is it fairly narrow? I'm just worried about fitting another seat rearfacing next to the super wide Advocate.

As for the Radian, it seemed like I just had WAY too much movement at the belt path... I could literally wiggle it from side to side. Even after applying all my weight while tightening and pushing down and having my husband try as well I just couldn't seem to get it rock solid. I don't know if the angle adjuster played a part in that or not. With the Advocate I can get such a tight install that it doesn't move period. I love it!
Posted via Mobile Device

MelodyoftheForest

With the Radian, were you tightening it with the angle adjuster under it already? If so, that might have been the problem. When I tried it in my car, I tightened it first, but not super tight, then pushed it up and put the AA under it. That doesn't really help with the LATCH issue though. The Graco Contender should allow LATCH to 40lbs, but not sure how the legroom compares to the Advocate CT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mamabee

With the Radian, were you tightening it with the angle adjuster under it already? If so, that might have been the problem. When I tried it in my car, I tightened it first, but not super tight, then pushed it up and put the AA under it. That doesn't really help with the LATCH issue though. The Graco Contender should allow LATCH to 40lbs, but not sure how the legroom compares to the Advocate CT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for your reply! I believe I installed it as you mentioned (putting the AA under afterwards) but it's been several months so I honestly can't remember. If I do get another Radian I will keep that in mind though!

I really like what I've read on the Scenera NEXT but I will check out the Graco Contender too. If I go with the Scenera NEXT my plan is to use it RF with my oldest until she outgrows it then move her into the Advocate CT FF and youngest into the SN RF at that time, hoping that plan will work out well. So grateful for the advice received! My brain isn't on a constant loop anymore :)
Posted via Mobile Device

mamabee

Okay I'm back -- I picked up the Scenera NEXT this weekend and unfortunately my oldest's head is only 2'' from the top of the seat :( I am going to keep it as a travel seat for my youngest to use with her sitter this summer though.

Also, the Graco Contender seat looks great but unfortunately only rearfaces to 35lbs in Canada and my oldest is 31lbs already.

I'm wondering if a Britax Roundabout would puzzle RF next to a RF Britax Advocate CT in the 2nd row? It seems to be a little narrower than the other Britax seats (I know two RF CT won't puzzle together so I'm not that hopeful!) and I know it won't really solve my "leg room" issue for my oldest but I can get a decent deal on one right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

1mommy

I believe the Scenera next allows a child's head to be even with the top rear facing, check the manual, but even if your oldest has 2" above her head, that should still be about a years worth of growth, as kids older then 2 generally grow about 1" of torso per year.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC