Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Grand Caravan 2014 vs. 2010?

Our Dodge GC 2010 is starting to need expensive work. We can trade it it for a 2014 with only 6 km. on it! We are still looking for an affordable 8 passenger, but till then - This will only cost a bit more a month over what we're paying now.

Is the back row easier or harder for car seats than the 2010? (Right now I'm using a small car the dealer gave us while we decide what to do next. Our car can not drive until we fix it up.)

Thank you.
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;
    10 and 8 - Booster; 5 - FF Foonf;
    3 - RF Roundabout; 5/18 - KF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Grand Caravan 2014 vs. 2010?

It's identical, they haven't changed anything about the seats or seat belts since 2008. If your current van is working for you, so will the newer one but if it's giving you grief maybe look into a different vehicle (personally I'd take an older/higher mileage vehicle over a brand spanking new GC because they're so awful).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'd look into ditching the Caravan for an 04 - 10 Sienna.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

Yeah a couple friends of mine have had their grand carivan (? Spelling) crap out of them too. I would look into a Sienna
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

We are looking for an 8 passenger Sienna, but they're really expensive here. This is more of a temporary solution until we find. I don't really like this van, but I got used to it.
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;

Crazy idea here, but what about an Astro/Safari as a temporary solution? You could get out from under all your car payments and have room for everyone for a good 3-4 years still. They were only built until 05, though, so unfortunately that's the newest you can get.

If you're okay with a 7p as a temp solution, could you go with a Sedona instead of a Caravan?
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

The reason for the GC '14, is because it's in stock, and being this new has bumper to bumper coverage until 2019/ 100,000 km, and the previous owner didn't end up using it, so we have no extra expenses whatsoever.

He found a Sienna '11, but it's $7k more and with over 70,000 km. on it.

I'm going tomorrow to talk to him with DH, since I know what we need (more than DH) due to all the ladies (and men) on this forum! I don't read car magazines and stuff. I tried, but not for me, so I rely on all of you for whatever car info I need.

Thanks again. Will update on what we decide. My kids are waiting since last year, for a snow tubing trip - so we need a car to get there!
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;