Mitsubishi Outlander vs Mazda 5

Keeanh

And... go... LOL

Please ignore my siggy!! This would be for me & 1-2 kids 95% of the time. I want a 3rd row in case I have to do a bunch of drop-offs & pick-ups around town (less than 10 min in the vehicle) so while 3rd row safety is a concern, comfort isn't :p . Car seats aren't a big deal. I would only have 2 at a time at the most.

I want to go as small as possible so my big kids don't kill my insurance discount in parking lots :p

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
If you are looking new, I would opt for the 2016 Kia Sorento over any of the smaller 3-row SUVs.

The Mazda 5 is probably the nicest to drive, but has some questionable crash test results. The Outlander has arguably the best crash test results, but really isn't in the league of the other two as far as driving, comfort, etc. I've heard the 2016 Outlander is a bit nicer than the 2014-2015 model that I reviewed.

I wouldn't even put a child in the 3rd row of older Outlanders before 2014. They resemble medieval torture devices;-)

http://carseatblog.com/1281/chicago-auto-show-safety-awards/

Keeanh

If you are looking new, I would opt for the 2016 Kia Sorento over any of the smaller 3-row SUVs.

The Mazda 5 is probably the nicest to drive, but has some questionable crash test results. The Outlander has arguably the best crash test results, but really isn't in the league of the other two as far as driving, comfort, etc. I've heard the 2016 Outlander is a bit nicer than the 2014-2015 model that I reviewed.

I wouldn't even put a child in the 3rd row of older Outlanders before 2014. They resemble medieval torture devices;-)

http://carseatblog.com/1281/chicago-auto-show-safety-awards/

Thanks Darren. I did manage to get a better look at the pre-14 Outlanders 3rd row, and read the limitations on it :eek: . So yeah, I sadly nixed that one. Too bad because I liked the look of the 14 in the review you guys did.

I know you're all about the new cars, but I can't do new LOL. I'm looking at under $15,000 CDN (so $11,000 US). I keep coming back to the 12+ Mazda5 so I think I'm going to stick with that one.

I don't really need 3 rows. The 3rd row of my Safari has been folded down for months now. I would just like the option of those seats for briefly transporting an extra kid or 2 around town. I never take more than 2 kids out of town, and 3 (soon 4) of my kids are fine in the front seat.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
How about a 2008-2010 Highlander? Those are a little smaller than most midsize models. The main drawback is the lack of a split folding 3rd row, it's the whole seat up or folded.

Keeanh

How about a 2008-2010 Highlander? Those are a little smaller than most midsize models. The main drawback is the lack of a split folding 3rd row, it's the whole seat up or folded.

Thanks for the suggestion!! Unfortunately I need another $10,000 for a 7p '08 around here. To get into my price range, I'm looking at more like an 05 with 120,000 miles kind of thing. Looks like prices are a little better in Alberta, but still more than I want to spend :( I'll definitely keep an eye out, though.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC