Question Umbrella stroller for traveling

mamabearof3

I have flown with babes a few times, but have always worn my babe in a carrier. (Never brought a stroller.) My baby is now 2.5 and while she probably only weighs 27#, my back really doesn't like to wear her on my front.But I need my back free for my backpack. We've got the packing, airport & car seat thing down. But I am thinking of getting a umbrella stroller for the airport & to hang in my trunk.

Albee baby has a Chicco C6 for $79.99 that comes with a "carry bag". Is that good for gate checking? Stroller only goes to 37# & weighs 11#.

The Kolcraft Cloud is only $39.99 & goes to 40#, but only has 3 pt harness.

The Inglesina 2014 Swift is 79.99, goes to 55# and looks like a nicer stroller than the Chicco.

They have a Maclaren Globetrotter that I am drooling over for $99.99. 5pt harness, 55# weight capacity, light weight, raincover, and it is a Maclaren.

This will be our flying stroller (about once per year) & main stroller (a couple times a month). Is the $9.50 check in bag from Amazon fine to protect it? Is a Maclaren as wonderful as I think & safe to gate check?

Please advise. This is my last stroller purchase. I use my valvo baby walking around town, but want an umbrella for the van.

Thanks,
Mamabear to 4 ages 2.5, 8, 10 & 12

ADS

Dillipop

I have a maclaren volo that I love. It folds up soooo small and actually fits in the cargo area of my mazda5. I like that it is lightweight yet easy to push. It's a breeze to carry on mass transit.

As for compared to others? Not sure about that. The 3 point harness wouldn't bother me, as I tend to not always use the shoulder straps, especially on bigger kids, anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgomez411

I have a Chicco C6 and don't mind it. It's also rarely used and not kept in my car though! I have seen some of the Chicco Echos clearanced at Target, maybe that's an option? (I'm assuming you're in the US)

lanwenyi

I have flown with babes a few times, but have always worn my babe in a carrier. (Never brought a stroller.) My baby is now 2.5 and while she probably only weighs 27#, my back really doesn't like to wear her on my front.But I need my back free for my backpack. We've got the packing, airport & car seat thing down. But I am thinking of getting a umbrella stroller for the airport & to hang in my trunk.

Albee baby has a Chicco C6 for $79.99 that comes with a "carry bag". Is that good for gate checking? Stroller only goes to 37# & weighs 11#.

The Kolcraft Cloud is only $39.99 & goes to 40#, but only has 3 pt harness.

The Inglesina 2014 Swift is 79.99, goes to 55# and looks like a nicer stroller than the Chicco.

They have a Maclaren Globetrotter that I am drooling over for $99.99. 5pt harness, 55# weight capacity, light weight, raincover, and it is a Maclaren.

This will be our flying stroller (about once per year) & main stroller (a couple times a month). Is the $9.50 check in bag from Amazon fine to protect it? Is a Maclaren as wonderful as I think & safe to gate check?

Please advise. This is my last stroller purchase. I use my valvo baby walking around town, but want an umbrella for the van.

Thanks,
Mamabear to 4 ages 2.5, 8, 10 & 12

I've had a C6 and a Mac (dbl Triumph and single Quest). They are NOT in the same league. You couldn't pay me to push the C6. I LOVE my Mac. It is lightweight and easy to push. (The only lightweight stroller that was easier to push was the Babyjogger CityMini, which is NOT as small nor as easy to fly with).

We started out by checking our strollers in a stroller bag. Don't expect the cheap bags to last more than 1-2 roundtrips. More expensive gate check bags will last longer but not forever. If you're not bent on worrying about dust, don't worry about a bag and just check it. (Pack some baby wipes to wipe down handles or hood if they get something on it; it happened to us ONCE in all the times we checked without a bag). It will make your life easier. That's what we did after a while once we got sick of buying new gate check bags every other roundtrip.

mamabearof3

So I won't regret paying $99.99 for an umbrella stroller??? I can get the Maclaren globetrotter guilt free & the airline won't break it?

We don't check any luggage. We are flying stateside on Delta. I am going to confirm at booking, but if we gate check an umbrella stroller we will get it at the gate right? It will defeat the purpose if we have to go to baggage to get it!

Thanks,
Mamabear, new to flying with strollersl

lanwenyi

I have gate checked strollers many times and never had a broken stroller. The most I've had is a little bit of dirt on the handles or hood. Nothing else. I have heard of broken strollers, but I've never experienced it and we have flown an average of 3-4 roundtrips per year while the kids were stroller age.

Yes, you get strollers back at the gate unless you tell them you want it sent to baggage claim. I always told them I wanted a "claim at gate" tag. Never had a problem.

mamabearof3

Thanks everyone! I ordered the Maclaren Globetrotter from Albee Baby. The 44% off, free shipping & the justification of lowered irritation at the airport relieved most of the guilt:D

~Mamabear to 4

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Good choice but I would invest in a really good padded protective bag. I've had stroller frames bent when unprotected. I bought one from JL Childress and it was worth every penny.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC