Car seat - 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander

U

Unregistered

Is there a list of certain car seats that are most compatible with specific vehicles? Maybe by the vehicle manufacturers or somewhere else?

I have an 07 Mitsubishi Outlander and trying to decide on an All-in-1 car seat for my kids. I currently have a 3 yo in a Radian 100 and a 1 yo in a Chicco Keyfit 30. Obviously the baby is outgrowing her infant carrier so I'm trying to decide between a Graco 4-Ever and Chicco Nextfit. Here's why:

The Radian is a great seat but rear facing, even with the angle adjuster, it is awfully close to the backs of the front seats. Also, I'm just learning that none of the Dionos are recommended as boosters because of the height of the belt path.

I wanted to get new seats for both kids that would solve these two issues and these two seats seem to fit the bill, although I have not tried to put them inside my vehicle yet. They are wider than the Dionos so there will be basically no room in the center of my back seat as Outlanders are narrow.

I want a car seat to keep them in as long as possible. The toddler might not get as much use as the baby will, but if I bought him the Milestone there's not a huge price difference between the two seats after discounts, coupons, ect. And I'd have to eventually buy a backless booster anyway .... Right?? So for an extra $15-$20, I don't mind just getting him the 4-ever as well.

The Nextfit looks like a great seat and looks like it would take as much room as the Gracos width-wise but I can't see any child in that seat beyond 5 years old.... 6 if they are really tiny and again, I'd still have to buy another booster seat.

My kids are on the smaller to average size now but.... Who knows...???

My question is has any had experience installing either of these seats in an Outlander??? Rear or forward facing? Do they work well with the space when rear facing? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you post a picture of the Radian installed rear facing with the angle adjuster, please?

It's a great convertible, and boosters run about $60 for a high back to backless one.

Wendy

dagoldberg76

Sorry for the errors

Can you post a picture of the Radian installed rear facing with the angle adjuster, please?

It's a great convertible, and boosters run about $60 for a high back to backless one.

Wendy
Posted Is there a list of certain car seats that are most compatible with specific vehicles? Maybe by the vehicle manufacturers or somewhere else?

I have an 07 Mitsubishi Outlander and trying to decide on an All-in-1 car seat for my kids. I currently have a 3 yo in a Radian 100 and a 1 yo in a Chicco Keyfit 30. Obviously the baby is outgrowing her infant carrier so I'm trying to decide between a Graco 4-Ever and Chicco Nextfit. Here's why:

The Radian is a great seat but rear facing, even with the angle adjuster, it is awfully close to the backs of the front seats. Also, I'm just learning that none of the Dionos are recommended as boosters because of the height of the belt path.

I wanted to get new seats for both kids that would solve these two issues and these two seats seem to fit the bill, although I have not tried to put them inside my vehicle yet. They are wider than the Dionos so there will be basically no room in the center of my back seat as Outlanders are narrow.

I want a car seat to keep them in as long as possible. The toddler might not get as much use as the baby will, but if I bought him the Milestone there's not a huge price difference between the two seats after discounts, coupons, ect. And I'd have to eventually buy a backless booster anyway .... Right?? So for an extra $15-$20, I don't mind just getting him the 4-ever as well.

The Nextfit looks like a great seat and looks like it would take as much room as the Gracos width-wise but I can't see any child in that seat beyond 5 years old.... 6 if they are really tiny and again, I'd still have to buy another booster seat.

My kids are on the smaller to average size now but.... Who knows...???

My question is has any had experience installing either of these seats in an Outlander??? Rear or forward facing? Do they work well with the space when rear facing? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you! via Mobile Device

Sorry, first time responding on this blog and I did it on my phone.

Actually, I can't post a picture of the Diono RF because it is currently installed FF for my 3.5 yo. But I can tell you that when we did have it RF, with the angle adjusters, there was maybe 2 inches between the drivers seat and the back of the Radian.

I guess I'm hoping to find something that will not take up that kind of room RF. Outlanders are actually compact for a crossover so I get a feeling I could run into this with a lot of seats.

1mommy

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I understand. You don't like the Radian rear facing because it's too close to the seats? Do you need to move the seat back and the Radian interfere? Have you tried it in the middle where it might fit between the two front seats allowing more clearance? Personally I'd get a harness to booster seat for your oldest and pass down the Radian to the baby. If you hate the Radian and just want another seat that's fine too, we all love car seat shipping here *grins*. Also if your three year old fits fine in the Radian and is slightly shorter for now, I'd just keep him/her in it until booster age, then buy a new high backed to low backed booster (they are fairly cheap). Personally I have the milestone and really like it, but if the price difference between it and the 4ever are so small is go for it. The 4 ever is slightly wider tho because it has built in cup holders.

jjordan

Re: Sorry for the errors

I'd continue using the Radian for the older child (unless there is a reason you don't want to do that and I missed it). Buying a booster in 2-3 years is no big deal. Similarly, I'd definitely consider a convertible for your younger child. When she is ready for a booster, your older child might also want to move into something new (perhaps a backless booster), in which case you could pass the first booster down. In my experience, once you get to the booster stage of life, especially the "older kid" booster stage, it is nice to have a dedicated booster. I personally doubt that I would ever use a 3-in-1 seat as a booster even if I had the option.

As for how seats fit in your car, Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby will let you try floor model car seats in your vehicle, which is great if you live somewhat close to one of those or ever are in the vicinity of one while shopping. :)

lgenne

When you say "awfully close to the backs of the front seats," what do you mean? Do you have to move the front seats further forward than you would like? Is the Radian actually pushing against the back of the front seat? Something else?

lgenne

Ah, I see we're all responding at once.

Two inches between the back of a front seat and a rear facing car seat is plenty from a safety standpoint. Is there a reason you want more space?

If the older child is forward facing, and the Radian works rear facing, I would look for a combination seat for the 3.5 year old and pass down the Radian. If you want something narrow, the new Graco Tranzitions is a good choice.

MelodyoftheForest

I would consider 2 inches of space between a RF seat and the driver's seat in my car a lot of space! I would be surprised if you would find something significantly more compact. I vote for passing the Radian down too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC