Question Best convertible car seat for a 2010 Toyota Matrix

U

Unregistered

Hello all,

My wife and I are blessed with twins who are now 8 months old, 28" tall and 18ish pounds. As such, we are looking into convertible car seats to fit in our 2010 Toyota Matrix behind both the passenger and driver seats. Right now we have a pair of the Chicco Keyfits and I (6'2") am able to barely adjust the seat to where driving is not completely uncomfortable.

However, moving up to a convertible, I have no idea what is going to fit when the seat is rear-facing and probably more reclined due to the kids' age.

We are currently considering the Chicco Nextfit 65, the Nextfit Zip, the Nextfit CX and the Britax Boulevard Clicktight.

A couple of questions, if anyone could be so helpful:
1) Are all of the Nextfits the same size?

2) Does anyone know if I would be able to fit in the car with any of these models?

3) If the answer is no, do you have any suggestions on which models might get along with my tall frame and our relatively small backseats?

4) If the answer is still no, does anyone want to give me a minivan? ;)

Thanks so much for the help and for this amazing resource of a forum!

ADS

Cnidaria

The NextFits are all exactly the same size. The CX has sproingy things on the harness straps at the hips to keep the child from sitting on the straps as they get in, and a big thick pad for the crotch buckle. The Zip has those things plus has a zip-off cover. But the size of the seat, limits, etc, are all exactly the same.

I don't know about the Matrix specifically, but the Britax Clicktight convertibles get very, very compact front to back at their most upright setting. And Britax doesn't have a specific age where you can switch to the more upright toddler section of the range.

The NextFit is also quite compact but in my experience, the Clicktights can get more compact when maximally upright.

I would definitely suggest going to a store and test-installing both in your car and see how you like them! You can test-install seats at Babies R Us and Buy Buy Baby.

Last edited:

MelodyoftheForest

The Zip and maybe the CX have a feature where the shoulder straps get farther apart as you adjust them taller as well. I found the Maxi-Cosi Pria and Diono seats (radian, Pacifica, etc.) with angle adjuster the most compact in my car. I have a Chevy HHR 2006.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lgenne

At 8 months, unless they have special needs, you'll likely be better off in terms of front to back space with convertibles than with Keyfits, unless you choose convertibles that are known for taking lots of front to back space. There are lots of great options for you. I'll echo the above advice: get to a store that lets you try the display seats in your car if you possibly can, and try them out! IME, most people don't end up with the car seat they think they'll want if they actually try the options.

Good luck!

U

Unregistered

Thanks everyone for the help, suggestions, and advice! Much appreciated!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC