Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Diono Sure Fit seat belt positioner for a child

I've read a few threads on here related to seat belt positioners. I'm wondering specifically about the Diono Sure Fit seat belt positioner: http://uk.diono.com/car-seat-accessories/sure-fit

Please don't get too mad - this is a genuine question...
    Assuming the seat belt is pulled snug so that the lap belt (i) has no slack, (ii) is positioned low across the wearer's hips (not abdomen), and (iii) is not lifted up at all by the belt positioner (as per the product's claims), then is this device all that different from the RideSafer3 travel vest (the version without the tether or crotch strap)?

From what I can gather online, this product is intended for children (or adults) who can ride without a booster seat - is that right? What are your thoughts on using it for a large 4yo instead of the RideSafer vest, for short taxi trips?

Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Diono Sure Fit seat belt positioner for a child

I don't know anything about this product, but the belt fit on the child in the picture doesn't look safe to me. I am not an expert, though. I am curious as to what any techs think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

CPS Fanatic

The RSTV3 does have a crotch strap, just not a tether. Even if this doesn't pull the lap belt up, there's nothing keeping it down.

Carseat Crazy

I agree that the belt fit in the picture looks poor. I would be surprised if the lap belt would fit well enough on a small child to be safe. My 80 lb 8 yo nephew still needs help with lap belt fit. The travel vest moves the lap belt down, so it serves more like a booster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

6. Thank You from:

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The RTSV doesn't just position and hold the belts in the proper placement. It also redistributes the force of the seatbelt throughout the entire front of the vest.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Even if the belt was initially positioned ok, I'm certain if a child slouched that would change. The guides on the RSTV mitigate that risk.

Some info on this kind of product: http://www.carseat.org/Resources/606_sh_belt_pos.pdf
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

This just pulls the shoulderbelt down. The main risk is that on a 4 year old, the belt will be completely up on the abdomen. RSTV doesn't look like it does much, and when I used it extensively, I thought, "hmm, it really looks like that lapbelt is low enough, let me try the seatbelt without using the RSTV", boy, was I WRONG. The belt fit great over the bony hips and shoulder in the RSTV, the seatbelt was WAY higher without it.
    I'd rather use a BoostaPak or BubbleBum as long as my kid were heavy enough.
    http://carseatblog.com/21719/boostap...rative-review/

Also, Nedra, yeah, that kid in the picture is probably about 8 and 'almost' big enough to not be out of a booster, it's hard to tell where her knees are bending, but the lapbelt is still too high.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

10. Thank You from:

These are enormously helpful replies. Thank you so much!
    Posted via Mobile Device