Question Diono Sure Fit seat belt positioner for a child

SingaporeSling

I've read a few threads on here related to seat belt positioners. I'm wondering specifically about the Diono Sure Fit seat belt positioner: http://uk.diono.com/car-seat-accessories/sure-fit

Please don't get too mad - this is a genuine question...
Assuming the seat belt is pulled snug so that the lap belt (i) has no slack, (ii) is positioned low across the wearer's hips (not abdomen), and (iii) is not lifted up at all by the belt positioner (as per the product's claims), then is this device all that different from the RideSafer3 travel vest (the version without the tether or crotch strap)?

From what I can gather online, this product is intended for children (or adults) who can ride without a booster seat - is that right? What are your thoughts on using it for a large 4yo instead of the RideSafer vest, for short taxi trips?

Thanks!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't know anything about this product, but the belt fit on the child in the picture doesn't look safe to me. I am not an expert, though. I am curious as to what any techs think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

The RSTV3 does have a crotch strap, just not a tether. Even if this doesn't pull the lap belt up, there's nothing keeping it down.

MelodyoftheForest

I agree that the belt fit in the picture looks poor. I would be surprised if the lap belt would fit well enough on a small child to be safe. My 80 lb 8 yo nephew still needs help with lap belt fit. The travel vest moves the lap belt down, so it serves more like a booster.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
The RTSV doesn't just position and hold the belts in the proper placement. It also redistributes the force of the seatbelt throughout the entire front of the vest.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
This just pulls the shoulderbelt down. The main risk is that on a 4 year old, the belt will be completely up on the abdomen. RSTV doesn't look like it does much, and when I used it extensively, I thought, "hmm, it really looks like that lapbelt is low enough, let me try the seatbelt without using the RSTV", boy, was I WRONG. The belt fit great over the bony hips and shoulder in the RSTV, the seatbelt was WAY higher without it.
I'd rather use a BoostaPak or BubbleBum as long as my kid were heavy enough.
http://carseatblog.com/21719/boostapak-vs-bubblebum-a-comparative-review/

Also, Nedra, yeah, that kid in the picture is probably about 8 and 'almost' big enough to not be out of a booster, it's hard to tell where her knees are bending, but the lapbelt is still too high.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC