Our $42 Parkway Arrived...Impressions

Yoshi

Our $42 Parkway Arrived...Impressions-and PICS

Just in case you don't know, I got it on Amazon for a deal on sale with free ship and the rebate on the amazon visa. It is really "just to have" for when DD needs one in a year. She still has room in the Radian, and the EFTA, so we will NOT be using this for quite a while (I know it will expire when she is 10)

My first impression was "Wow- this thing is petite!" I had to up the headrest quite a bit. The shoulder belt guide is weird, it sort of twists the shoulder belt at a funny angle although it lays across her shoulder flat. The seat is deep enough for her, and the head wings seem to not bother her, but she really doesn't "get it" as far as being able to stay sitting properly. She kept saying- where is my seat belt- meaning her harness. (We just drove around our development) She didn't like the fact that I locked the belt- she complained it was too tight. The lap belt lay across her hips/lap, but the buckle stalk (Subaru Outback) touches the belt path thingy on the side of the seat. Is that an issue with boosters? Plus, the first time I buckled her in, the seatbelt didn't click, but "seemed" latched. Obviously, I fixed it, because I know to listen for the click, but I wonder how many kids can manage that? She did tip a bit going around a 90 degree turn- but not badly. I felt like she was SO vulnerable- like I just tied her to the hood with rope or something- I couldn't wait to get her out of it back into the harness!!! But overall, I do like the Parkway. I'm sure when the time comes we will find a use for it! ETA: added photos...she is 4 yrs, 5 months and 41" tall, 41 lbs.
100_0939.jpg

100_0942.jpg

100_0945.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

Suzibeck

I love using our Parkway in the captains chair of our van, but it tips something awful in the backseat. If dd is back there, I have to constantly tell her to lean toward the window. Our TB does not tip like that, and I'm not sure why the Parkway does. I have not noticed it tipping in the Jetta, but it usually has someone sitting right next to it, so it couldn't tip if it tried.

You got yours for an awesome price! Congrats!

RJB78

CPST Instructor
Dd has never sat in a booster, but I can only imagine that I would feel the same vulnerability as you! Congrats on the great deal!

And I have to say, your dd is gorgeous! I absolutely love her hair! Our dd's are the same age. :) Mine will be 4 years 6 months on 11/6. And she doesn't have hair like that! LOL She only averages one haircut every year.

ThreeBeans

She's adorable! If I were you I would snug the seatbelt a bit more across her hips, it looks pretty loose in the second picture down. Also, engage the switchable retractor and 'lock' the belt...that will keep it from tipping.

Yoshi

Dd has never sat in a booster, but I can only imagine that I would feel the same vulnerability as you! Congrats on the great deal!

And I have to say, your dd is gorgeous! I absolutely love her hair! Our dd's are the same age. :) Mine will be 4 years 6 months on 11/6. And she doesn't have hair like that! LOL She only averages one haircut every year.
She has never been in a booster before, either, I was just curious how she would fit. Thanks for your compliment about her hair- it is finally getting longer- she went through a phase where it just sort of stopped growing between 3-3.5. :confused:
She's adorable! If I were you I would snug the seatbelt a bit more across her hips, it looks pretty loose in the second picture down. Also, engage the switchable retractor and 'lock' the belt...that will keep it from tipping.
It actually was tight, I was over-zealously tightening it because I know how important it is. Maybe she squirmed around and it loosened? Argh! I never want to put her in a booster! Good to know about locking the belt to prevent tipping! Thanks, 3beans!

Auntie2Avi

Your DD is so cute! I dread the day that Avi is old enough to sit in a booster, he is big enough already. That is a great deal on the Parkway, I am pining for a new seat to play with, but Avi is still fitting into his seats :whistle:

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I completely understand the vulnerability -- it was sooooo HARD to make the decision to let Leila use a booster with my parents when she reached the minimum size requirement at 3 years :eek: because they have severe arthritis + nerve damage & were physically/medically unable to use a harness correctly: correctly used booster is safer than incorrectly used harness (I just required that 1 of them provide constant supervision for correct use while the other drove & luckilly their vehicles had center shoulder belts + side curtain airbags) :eek:

BTW, the seatbelt looks exactly the way it does on Leila ... also overzealously tightened + locked at the retractor :thumbsup: After hearing "I have to do it this way because I love you & will do everything I can so you don't get hurt" as well as "if it isn't done this way you're not going" she learned to appreciate it :whistle:

arly1983

After seeing these pics, I think I prefer the compass

He is 30 months, 40 ins, 36 lbs.

(I would NEVER put a child this young is a booster, this was taken just for sizing purposes)
Picture286.jpg

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
I LOVE our Parkway's too. My oldest is in a PW in my mom's vehicle and we have one as a back up too.

My dh had a rental several weeks back and used the PW for my 4yr 2mth old, 43", 42lb dd. Needless to say it proved that not all 4yr & 40lbs children are ready for a booster. He had to use her PW to take her to school b/c he couldn't get a good install in the rental with her Marathon. He said she was leaning all over the place. I will say he did forget to lock the seatbelt. But, Yea she is no where near ready for a booster.

Yoshi

After seeing these pics, I think I prefer the compass

He is 30 months, 40 ins, 36 lbs.

(I would NEVER put a child this young is a booster, this was taken just for sizing purposes)

That looks like it would fit larger kids better, for sure. I think scatterbunny has one of those? I guess I will eventually lean towards the new SK Monterey when we need a booster- it seems to be the one that "has it all"- LATCH and huge adjustability, plus good body/head SIP.

arly1983

I guess I will eventually lean towards the new SK Monterey when we need a booster- it seems to be the one that "has it all"- LATCH and huge adjustability, plus good body/head SIP.

Oh, I know!! I DROOL over that booster and the recaro start and the compass trufit (if it is everything we think it is)!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I felt that same vulnerability when X first rode in a booster. Since then he's only used it 2 times. That very first time was the FPSVD booster and it just wasn't substantial enough. I had the worst feeling that trip and he had a hard time keeping the shoulder belt on his shoulder. Fortunately it was only about 4 miles. Now that I have replaced that with the PW, I like it better, and I feel a little better about it, although, like I said, he has only used it twice! He will stay in a harnessed seat for as long as possible, just because I can't handle having him in a booster seat. It makes me too nervous! It makes me feel like a crazy overprotective mother sometimes! He'll be 6 in Dec after all, and the first time he rode in a booster was 2 months ago!
I noticed the same thing with the shoulder belt sort of twisting at the belt path. It's weird that it does that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC