"Occupant retention with the 5 pt harness"

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
What does the phrase "occupant retention with the 5 point harness" mean? I see it advertised a lot -- does it just mean that the child doesn't go flying out? Isn't that, like, the definition of a car seat's purpose? I guess I just don't understand why car seat companies actively market this as being some kind of special feature...am I misunderstanding?

Also, on the list of features for the Extend2Fit, Graco says:

"In addition to meeting or exceeding all applicable US safety standards, the Extend2Fit[emoji769] convertible car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built-in 5-point harness system"

What is the implication of the word "solely" here? Does it just mean "occupant retention alone" -- that they didn't study injuries for side impact collisions and so they aren't making any claims about injury reduction --only whether the child stayed in the seat? Or does it mean "harness alone" -- that they tested the functionality of the harness to hold the child, even without the support of the rest of the seat?

Hope this makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It means it hasn't been side impact tested for retaining the occupant in booster mode with the seat belt. If the seat doesn't have a booster mode, it's wording carried over from their seats that do. Basically saying that their side impact testing only applies to harnessed mode.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There's no federal standard for what side impact protection really should mean, so they give us the best they can with the assurance of 'occupant retention'.
The side impact standards have been in the pipeline for years and years, but it's expensive and tricky to get the dummies properly instrumented and injury criteria agreed upon, so there's nothing yet.
It does sound like maybe they copied and pasted from a 4Ever manual, though I *thought* some of the SIP-labeled boosters also have that 'for occupant retention' wording....? Maybe they just really don't want you to use the seat without a harness (sort of kidding, but you know, people might think they can just plop their kid in the seat and be good without using the straps...)

The TBSS has the wording " In addition to meeting or exceeding U.S. safety standards this seat meets both Graco's side impact testing and Europe's draft side impact standard" on it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC