Two car seats plus adult in back?- Canada

callmescipio

Hi all,

I'm pregnant, due in June, with #2. My son will have just turned 5 at the time the baby is born. We've lived without a car up until now, but we think having two might send us over the edge.

Husband and I are still undecided on what car, but we don't want a minivan or an SUV (we both liked the VW Golf Wagon until the scandal broke), and we do need to be able to fit an adult in the back with the two kids occasionally. (My sister lives in the same city and MIL will visit from overseas. I will probably be in the back when we have another adult with us.) I've started doing some reading and it seems like this could be a real challenge.

Currently my son is in a Britax Marathon when we rent a car. He's a lightweight (36 lb) and average height (43").

I'm wondering if it would be worth buying him a new seat to gain extra room across the backseat. Was considering the Harmony Defender so he could stay harnessed for at least another couple of years.

We will need a new seat for the baby.

Am I crazy to think we can fit an adult in the back from time to time without going to a third row? Any suggestions for combinations to maximize space would be appreciated!

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
It just depends on what size vehicle you get. In the small vehicle class, it is a much higher likelihood of not working out. Are you interested in something a bit bigger? Something Mazda6 sized maybe?

callmescipio

TechnoGranola- that's something I have just started to think about- whether a slightly bigger sedan would be a better option.

We live in a big city, and probably 75-80% of the driving would be around town running errands and the like, where having a smaller car would be advantageous, but not if it meant we had to rent a different car when MIL visited...

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I've sat beside two harnessed kids in a few different vehicles. We currently drive a Kia Rondo and I've got my passenger side open with two harnesses middle and driver's. I've done the same in a Malibu ('05 maybe?) and an Equinox ('09?) I have a Radian, which is a narrow seat that helps, but right now in our Kia I've got a FF SureRide next to a RF Peg convertible. They're tight together, but the open seat is relatively roomy.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC