Question Mazda CX5 - 3 Car Seats

U

Unregistered

My husband and I are in the process of buying a car. We have two kids (18 months and 3 months) in rear facing and eventually will possibly have a 3rd. We will get a minivan at some point, but in this round would like a two row SVU. I have a long commute to work so gas mileage is important to us as well. We were interested in the Mazda CX-5 but I read a lot of reviews saying you could not fit three across the back. The Car Sear Lady's current guide says they were unable to fit the bubble bum in it. Most cite the 40-20-40 split to be an issue.

When we went to test drive the car, I brought our Britax Marathon and our Chicco KeyFit 30, which is what the kids are in now. I installed the Britax behind the driver and the KeyFit30 in the middle seat and there was a lot of room in the seat behind passenger. I feel confident with the installation having been taught by multiple certified people, but all of these articles I am reading are making me nervous.

So my question is this: is it impossible to fit three across? I know type of carseat matters,but I didn't seem to have an issue with two.

I know there are other car options, we just love the gas mileage on this.

ADS

MelodyoftheForest

I might have added one step to the car seat fit test: take out the Marathon without moving the Keyfit and see if you can put it on the other side. If so, I would think you could be confident in your ability to do a three across in the vehicle. I am guessing you are doing seatbelt installs in all positions to use the space as fully as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I agree with MelodyoftheForest. Just wanted to add that when you take out the Marathon from the first side, make sure that the Keyfit is still tight. Sometimes it can seem like two seats are both secure, but when you take one out you realize that they were leaning against each other. So take out the Marathon, test the install of the Keyfit, install the marathon on the other side, take out the Keyfit and check the install of the Marathon.

Also, did you actually bring the Keyfit seat to try? Or just the base? I have gotten into the situation before where the base will install just fine, but when I go to click in the seat to the base, the seat itself doesn't have room. The Keyfit is fairly narrow, even across the handle, but it is definitely worth a check! No sense in having a base if you can't get the seat into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U

Unregistered

Thanks MelodyoftheForest and Nedra! I will try taking the marathon out, installing on the other side, etc. as you suggested and see what it looks like. @Nedra, I did have the seat installed in the base to see if it all fit, and it was good that way, but I will check on the wiggle etc. when I move things around.

V

Vhaugen

Hi! Were you able to install 3 accross? I'm desperate trying to find a solution for my mazda cx5 and 3 toddlers😭

MelodyoftheForest

Hi there! If you give us the ages, weights, and heights of the kids, what seats you have now, and your budget if you need to replace them, we can better help you. There have been lots of new seats since this thread started, and we are happy to help!

E

elight

I know this is an old thread, but I find myself in the same situation. A Mazda CX-5 (2019) with child #3 on the way. When the new child is born, the current children will be 4 years 4 months and 2 years 2 months. So we'll need two front facing and an infant car seat. By the time we move on from the infant car seat, we could put the oldest in a booster.

So really the question is, is there a configuration for either 3 full-size car seats (2 front-facing, 1 rear-facing) or 2 full-size (front-facing) plus an infant car seat (we own a KeyFit 30). I presume our existing full-size car seats would need to be replaced with something slimmer regardless.

elight

The two current children are average to slightly below average in both height and weight. We currently have a Chicco NextFit and an EvenFlo Tribute in one car, and two EvenFlo Tributes in the other car. (We also have a Chicco KeyFit 30 in the basement.)

One car will likely be switched out for a minivan before the new baby is born, so no issue there.

I tried popping the KeyFit in between the two current EvenFlos, and it was not close to fitting.

We can buy new car seats - not an issue. If I knew that two Dionos would fit alongside the KeyFit, that would be ideal.

T

ToBeTwinDad

Hi, We are expecting twins and looking for rear-facing car seat recommendations for a 2020 mazda cx-5 grand touring that can fit side by side using the middle seat with base
Read that Chicco KeyFit 30 is compact and would like to know if 2 of them will fir the requirement. Other recommendations are much appreciated. Thanks!

S

S Mom

We have the Cx5 and right now have two nuna rava one forward facing for our child who will be 4 when the newborn is born (he is 36#) and one rear facing for our 2 year old who weighs 23# (our kids are average height and slimmer) and then we will have newborn that we have a nuna pipa for. I imagine these 3 car seats wont all fit across. Are there any car seats that can work with 1 or 2 of the current car seats we have to make this fit across in one car and avoid having to purchase another car? Our only concern would be for the carseat to be safe

S

S Mom

Hi there! If you give us the ages, weights, and heights of the kids, what seats you have now, and your budget if you need to replace them, we can better help you. There have been lots of new seats since this thread started, and we are happy to help!
We have a soon to be 4 year old about 35# average height, 2 year old about 23# average height both slim and will have a newborn. We currently own a mazda cx5 2015 and have one nuna rava forward facing and one nuna rava rear facing. We also own a nuna Pipa which we could use for a newborn but i imagine these 3 wont fit across. What car seats do we need to purchase to make this car continue to work for our needs with the 3 kids inside?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a soon to be 4 year old about 35# average height, 2 year old about 23# average height both slim and will have a newborn. We currently own a mazda cx5 2015 and have one nuna rava forward facing and one nuna rava rear facing. We also own a nuna Pipa which we could use for a newborn but i imagine these 3 wont fit across. What car seats do we need to purchase to make this car continue to work for our needs with the 3 kids inside?
The Pipa is probably ok. You'll want much slimmer seats fur the others. You might look at the Clek convertibles and Graco SlimFit3 (not the regular SlimFit) for rear facing; the Clek with the kickoffs might be particularly good center. forward facing also look at the Chicco MyFit.

R

Rachel B

We have a 2016 Mazda CX5 and are expecting twins (plus have a toddler). Are there any combinations of 2 rear-facing buckets and one forward-facing convertible that will work? Really don't want to have to buy a new car.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
We have a 2016 Mazda CX5 and are expecting twins (plus have a toddler). Are there any combinations of 2 rear-facing buckets and one forward-facing convertible that will work? Really don't want to have to buy a new car.
Hi! I'm sure there are. What seat is your toddler in? Do you have a budget?

A

AlissaS

I see this is an older thread but with some recent responses so here I go just in case! We are expecting our 2nd child next year and currently have a 2014 Mazda CX-5. We are still using a bucket seat for our toddler as she is small for her age, but wanting to grab a convertible seat during Black Friday sales. Looking ahead as we are planning to have 3 kids total, I want to ideally get a seat that will work for 3 across eventually! Any suggestions? There are quite a few on the various lists I’ve seen but the options are wide open since this is our first convertible seat so hoping for more clarity. Thanks!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I see this is an older thread but with some recent responses so here I go just in case! We are expecting our 2nd child next year and currently have a 2014 Mazda CX-5. We are still using a bucket seat for our toddler as she is small for her age, but wanting to grab a convertible seat during Black Friday sales. Looking ahead as we are planning to have 3 kids total, I want to ideally get a seat that will work for 3 across eventually! Any suggestions? There are quite a few on the various lists I’ve seen but the options are wide open since this is our first convertible seat so hoping for more clarity. Thanks!
My top picks for 3 across, without other considerations, would be the Clek Foonf, Clek Fllo, or Graco SlimFit3 LX/True3Fit (same seat/2 names). Hope that's helpful?

C

Carli

Hello, I know this is an old threat, but I am planning on using the Diono 3R 3-in-1 seat in the Mazda CX-5 for my baby due later this year. Will it fit in the middle seat? My husband and I are both taller and would prefer not to have a car seat behind the front seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hello, I know this is an old threat, but I am planning on using the Diono 3R 3-in-1 seat in the Mazda CX-5 for my baby due later this year. Will it fit in the middle seat? My husband and I are both taller and would prefer not to have a car seat behind the front seats.
The seat you're looking at will absolutely not fit at a safe newborn angle- if it installs properly at all. (Also, it doesn't fit newborns well, and you can't adjust it to be more reclined if needed.) In fact, I'm not certain it can be properly installed center at all because of the vehicle seat and belt geometry. If installed outboard, you'll lose use of the front passenger seat, likely even at a more upright angle for an older baby.

So, basically, no. I wouldn't recommend the Diono seats in this vehicle for tall parents (or in any vehicle for a newborn.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC