Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Mazda CX5 - 3 Car Seats

My husband and I are in the process of buying a car. We have two kids (18 months and 3 months) in rear facing and eventually will possibly have a 3rd. We will get a minivan at some point, but in this round would like a two row SVU. I have a long commute to work so gas mileage is important to us as well. We were interested in the Mazda CX-5 but I read a lot of reviews saying you could not fit three across the back. The Car Sear Lady's current guide says they were unable to fit the bubble bum in it. Most cite the 40-20-40 split to be an issue.

When we went to test drive the car, I brought our Britax Marathon and our Chicco KeyFit 30, which is what the kids are in now. I installed the Britax behind the driver and the KeyFit30 in the middle seat and there was a lot of room in the seat behind passenger. I feel confident with the installation having been taught by multiple certified people, but all of these articles I am reading are making me nervous.

So my question is this: is it impossible to fit three across? I know type of carseat matters,but I didn't seem to have an issue with two.

I know there are other car options, we just love the gas mileage on this.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Mazda CX5 - 3 Car Seats

I might have added one step to the car seat fit test: take out the Marathon without moving the Keyfit and see if you can put it on the other side. If so, I would think you could be confident in your ability to do a three across in the vehicle. I am guessing you are doing seatbelt installs in all positions to use the space as fully as possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

4. Thank You from:

Mazda CX5 - 3 Car Seats

I agree with MelodyoftheForest. Just wanted to add that when you take out the Marathon from the first side, make sure that the Keyfit is still tight. Sometimes it can seem like two seats are both secure, but when you take one out you realize that they were leaning against each other. So take out the Marathon, test the install of the Keyfit, install the marathon on the other side, take out the Keyfit and check the install of the Marathon.

Also, did you actually bring the Keyfit seat to try? Or just the base? I have gotten into the situation before where the base will install just fine, but when I go to click in the seat to the base, the seat itself doesn't have room. The Keyfit is fairly narrow, even across the handle, but it is definitely worth a check! No sense in having a base if you can't get the seat into it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

Unregistered

Thanks MelodyoftheForest and Nedra! I will try taking the marathon out, installing on the other side, etc. as you suggested and see what it looks like. @Nedra, I did have the seat installed in the base to see if it all fit, and it was good that way, but I will check on the wiggle etc. when I move things around.

Vhaugen

Hi! Were you able to install 3 accross? I'm desperate trying to find a solution for my mazda cx5 and 3 toddlers😭

Carseat Crazy

Hi there! If you give us the ages, weights, and heights of the kids, what seats you have now, and your budget if you need to replace them, we can better help you. There have been lots of new seats since this thread started, and we are happy to help!
    -Reta
    Former CPST

elight

I know this is an old thread, but I find myself in the same situation. A Mazda CX-5 (2019) with child #3 on the way. When the new child is born, the current children will be 4 years 4 months and 2 years 2 months. So we'll need two front facing and an infant car seat. By the time we move on from the infant car seat, we could put the oldest in a booster.

So really the question is, is there a configuration for either 3 full-size car seats (2 front-facing, 1 rear-facing) or 2 full-size (front-facing) plus an infant car seat (we own a KeyFit 30). I presume our existing full-size car seats would need to be replaced with something slimmer regardless.

Carseat Crazy

What seats do you have to work with now? Are your kids average size or bigger or smaller? What is your budget if you need one or more new seats?
    -Reta
    Former CPST

The two current children are average to slightly below average in both height and weight. We currently have a Chicco NextFit and an EvenFlo Tribute in one car, and two EvenFlo Tributes in the other car. (We also have a Chicco KeyFit 30 in the basement.)

One car will likely be switched out for a minivan before the new baby is born, so no issue there.

I tried popping the KeyFit in between the two current EvenFlos, and it was not close to fitting.

We can buy new car seats - not an issue. If I knew that two Dionos would fit alongside the KeyFit, that would be ideal.