REALLY annoyed re: Como's locking clips

ZephyrBlue

I had to use my DS's Como in DH's car this morning (92 Toyota Camry, no locking features on the outboard lap/shoulder belts) and the FF built-in locking clips on the Como would NOT hold the belt tight. As soon as I closed the clip (which doesn't click or really "lock", it just closes on top of the belt), the belt was sliding back and forth in the clip. The center of the backseat has a big hump and the Como wouldn't install there without more than 1" of movement (the base of that seat is really slick and not at all contoured like the Britax convertibles), so we missed an appointment because I could not get the seat in :mad: I did try the seat RF and those locking clips didn't hold the belt, either. DS is RF in my van, but the Como doesn't fit well RF in the backseat of DH's car and since DS is 2.5, I'm okay with a short FF trip, but I couldn't do either one!!

I am REALLY aggravated by this. I tried calling Recaro and for 30 minutes, I couldn't get past their main telephone menu, then finally got through, and got routed to someone named Tamara's voice mail. She has not returned my call.

Has anyone else been unable to succesfully secure the vehicle belt in the Como's built in locking clips?

ADS

arly1983

Yes....I tried to use it RFing in a Dodge Stratus which has really aggrievating light locking latchplates so I was just going to use the RFing lockoff and it wouldn't hold....

southpawboston

wow, that's not encouraging... has anyone else had this problem?

just out of curiosity, i used the signo's RF lock-off on the LATCH belt (just to test it, i didn't keep it that way). i also noticed it just slipped right through the lock-off.

ZephyrBlue

Would someone please tell me if I'm totally out of line for being pissed that I have not yet gotten a response from Recaro? I left a voice mail for Tamara on Wednesday- no response. Called back yesterday, told them I had a big problem w/my Como and needed to speak w/someone beceause my phone call was not returned. Guess whose voice mail I got? Gayle :mad: Left her a message to please call me asap, as I have a significant issue w/my Como. No response. I also emailed Katherine Hubanks on Wednesday, no response.

Am I being impatient and a "problem customer" for thinking that their CS really sucks? I've NEVER had to wait days to talk with someone at Britax, maybe I'm just spoiled by great CS.

What would you guys do? Should I keep calling? I'm wondering if completely non-functioning built-in locking clips is something that warrants a complaint to NHTSA? I'm supposed to take DH's car again next week, and there is no way I can install DS's seat. :mad:

singingpond

I think you're totally justified in being annoyed A) at the non-functioning lockoffs, B) at the lack of CS response from Recaro.

Does Recaro allow the use of locking clips (not that this is a wonderful solution), or are they like Britax in saying you have to use their lockoffs? And why is it so hard anyway for carseat manufacturers to make a working lockoff?? (Grumbling here, because I've been having trouble lately with the seatbelt sliding in the RF lockoff on our Britax Wizard). I posted last week (on Installation & Technical forum) about my improvised solution to the problem (using a scrap of shelf liner material to increase friction and thickness where the seatbelt goes through the lockoff), but it's not something I can really recommend to anyone else (the lockoff is only a pre-crash positioner, so I think it's OK, but what I'm doing is obviously untested).

I hope Recaro comes up with something, and that they at least have the courtesy to respond to you! Not everyone has LATCH, and with higher weight-limit seats, you eventually have to use the seatbelts anyway, so the manufacturer MUST provide working lockoffs. Recaro should be pretty apologetic IMO, with regard to the problem you are reporting.

Katrin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC