What do Consumer Reports' "better, best, basic" mean for car seat crash protection ratings?

LC2003

I got my newest issue that had the car seat ratings and my baby's car seat just got "basic." (Britain Boulevard G4.1) It is brand new, bought after asking here what car seat is easy to buckle, and we are keeping it, but should I be sad or worried?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Carseatblog has a pretty good overview... http://carseatblog.com/36420/the-sa...on-ratings-and-methods-from-consumer-reports/

"We note that among the models with a BASIC Crash Protection Rating, the Britax G4 series convertibles received this rating due to lower performance with a 52-pound 6-year old dummy or a 62-pound weighted 6-year old dummy in forward-facing crash tests. In that these are smaller convertible carseats, we recognize that very few children will actually remain in them beyond 50 pounds. As such, we still feel they represent a very good option for both smaller vehicles and for younger children that will still receive good protection."

The 'average' 8 year old is 55lbs, so if your kiddo is petite or even average, they will be too tall for the seat well below the weight limit. I'd keep using this seat with confidence if it were me :)

LC2003

Carseatblog has a pretty good overview... http://carseatblog.com/36420/the-sa...on-ratings-and-methods-from-consumer-reports/

"We note that among the models with a BASIC Crash Protection Rating, the Britax G4 series convertibles received this rating due to lower performance with a 52-pound 6-year old dummy or a 62-pound weighted 6-year old dummy in forward-facing crash tests. In that these are smaller convertible carseats, we recognize that very few children will actually remain in them beyond 50 pounds. As such, we still feel they represent a very good option for both smaller vehicles and for younger children that will still receive good protection."

The 'average' 8 year old is 55lbs, so if your kiddo is petite or even average, they will be too tall for the seat well below the weight limit. I'd keep using this seat with confidence if it were me :)

Thanks so much! This baby is skinny and long and likely won't be 60 lbs 'til she is 10! I won't worry then. My oldest had a Marathon and he outgrew it by height by age 4-5.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC