Sit'n'Stroll approved for use in the United States (FMVSS 213) and Europe (ECE R44/04)?

SingaporeSling

I've just seen a Sit'n'Stroll advertised on Amazon which claims to be "approved for use in the United States (FMV 213) and Europe (ECE R44/04)".

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sit-Stroll-holiday-Universal-version/dp/B0100CK8PO

How can this be? If nothing else, I would've thought the respective requirement/prohibition of a chest clip would make dual approval impossible. I've emailed the company to clarify, but thought the clever folks of car-seat.org may have some helpful information.

I've also read the reviews and they're glowing. Last I heard it was nearly impossible to install a S'n'S correctly and outgrown very quickly. Has the Sit'n'Stroll changed a lot?

Thanks for your help :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! Several issues here.

First there is no US requirement for a chest clip. It is not part of FMVSS and not all US seats have them.

However, there ARE very different labeling requirements in the two standards. I'd say it's likely impossible to meet both labeling requirements without entirely plastering the seat with stickers. If then.

As far as reviews, to put it gently, most people reviewing car seats on retailer sites don't know what they don't know. While this product looks a bit different from the U.S. version, I'm fairly sure it's not THAT much easier to install correctly and it looks to be outgrown very early. That said remember that much of the UK population is still used to forward facing at 9 months and boostering around 3... That's starting to change but slowly. So outgrown early may not even be recognized as a problem, and they may not realize (as most US reviewers indeed don't) how infrequently it is able to be properly installed!

Very interested to see what the company says. It looks like it's sold through a retailer. They may not realize that just because a seat that is similar is sold in the US doesn't mean the seat is dual-approved.

SingaporeSling

Thanks ketchupqueen! That's really helpful. I'm very pleasantly surprised to hear that a seat could possibly be dual-certified. From my searches though, there is currently no seat (other than potentially this one?) that is dual-certified, is that right? I'm still waiting for the response, and will post it as soon as received. Thanks again :)
Posted via Mobile Device

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know that a seat could be, because of labeling and manual requirements among other differences, and the expense means it probably wouldn't be. Currently none are.

(A few Canadian seats are dual certified. One US seat was certified for Canada too for a while. But our standards for labeling and manual and such are much closer. So it's simpler and Transport Canada has been known to grant minor labeling exemptions to make it possible.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I can tell you from the pictures on that listing that unless it is not as shown it does not meet US labeling requirements (missing airbag warnings.) Therefore it cannot meet US standards.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC