Seat for 4 year old?

Stacy

Hi everyone! We are flying on Southwest next month and I'm trying to figure out which seat to bring for my youngest and how to bring along a seat for my oldest. So...

1. My 7 year old uses a Graco Affix (backless) so we will bring it along for the rental car. Should I pack it with her clothes or store it overhead on the plane?

2. My just turned 4 year old (38lbs) has a Frontier and a Nautilus. Obviously not considering bringing the first seat, but would the Nautilus also be a nightmare to bring on the plane? Or should I spend the money on a Maestro? Something else?

Really not wanting to buy another seat since it won't be needed after our trip but would love your opinions!

ADS

AllieK

I would have the 7yr old take the Affix as a carry on.

I wouldn't want to lug the Nautilus around, but I have friends who have done it. We used a Maestro and it was a dream, so light and easy to install!

Stacy

You can take the cupholders off the Maestro, right? I'm thinking then the tray would probably fold flat for her to use.

AllieK

Hopefully a tech will chime in but no, I don't believe Evenflo allows for the cup holders to be removed.

With the cup holders attached the tray table went down enough for my son to be able to color, drive cars, etc. but it was definitely at an angle and not flat enough for food & drinks.

MelodyoftheForest

I was just reading on the blog about this. The newest post on carseatblog.com (the one about narrow seats) has a link in it to a post about the institutional Maestro that doesn't have cup holders. The commercial version comes without the cup holders attached and you can order a little cap to put in the mounting holes instead. You cannot remove the cup holders once they are installed without risking damage to the seat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stacy

I was just reading on the blog about this. The newest post on carseatblog.com (the one about narrow seats) has a link in it to a post about the institutional Maestro that doesn't have cup holders. The commercial version comes without the cup holders attached and you can order a little cap to put in the mounting holes instead. You cannot remove the cup holders once they are installed without risking damage to the seat.

I found out that they are shipped without them installed. I figure it would be ok to use them on the plane that way.

MelodyoftheForest

I would imagine, but I don't know for sure. The blog only mentioned the holes where the cup holders attach being a finger entrapment hazard. I think I have heard of others leaving off the cup holders.

Athena

When we flew with our turbo, the bottom (backless portion) fit perfectly under the seat. HTH.

When flying with a 4-5 yo, we used the version 2 size small ride safer travel vest, but I don't think the maestro was out when we got it or we might have gone that way.

Definitely bring all car restraints as carry-ons in case your luggage is lost. I don't think any airlines count them as carry on items, so no worries about that and a harnessed seat can be used on board.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC