Advanced airbags- I need all the info!

Dillipop

My da has a 2012 Chevy Colorado with advanced airbags. As my kids get bigger, we are having issues with the airbags coming on when they sit in the front, which is now the only option as they are outgrowing the highback oobr in the back and there are no head restraints back there.

So- ds1 weighed in at 80 lbs. He doesn't trip it. He's around 5ft 1-2 inches.

My niece weighs around 65-70 lbs. she doesn't trip it. She's about 54 inches and uses a topside.

Ds2 weighs around 65-70 lbs. He's a little lighter and a little shorter than my niece. The airbag turns on every time he is in the truck, whether right away or midway through the trip. He also uses a topside.

What are the rules for advanced airbags? Chevy says theirs are made to trigger at 80 lbs and since the kids are close, it's operating properly.

I thought airbags were dangerous under 100 lbs?

What do other brands do? Is the dealership correct about the airbags? Should they be turning on that soon? Why does my smallest kid trigger them and not the others? Is there something wrong with my dad's airbags? With advanced airbags, with such little weight, they go off with less force, right?

Thankfully, the front seat of the truck pushes back really far, so the airbag is unlikely to cause issues with kids in a booster but it's concerning to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've always heard 80, not 100, but I think there's also different kinds...the one that turns off under the weight limit or the one that explodes with less force depending on the weight limit. I'm trying to google now, but it's tough to figure out!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
The problem is, it's the force on sensors which isn't only affected by the person's weight. It is also their seating position, body shape, etc. In our Ford Escape, my 80 pound kid would turn the air bag on every time for the entire ride. Me, at 105 pounds, would keep the air bag off for most of the trip but it would turn on when the driver braked hard, or cornered, etc.

tiggercat

Does the child who turns on the airbag pull his seatbelt very snug at the hips? I wonder if that could affect it? I've seen tightly installed CRS' s affect sensors before, so maybe?

Dillipop

Does the child who turns on the airbag pull his seatbelt very snug at the hips? I wonder if that could affect it? I've seen tightly installed CRS' s affect sensors before, so maybe?

It's possible. I know my dad has had ds get out o the truck, then he turns it on, then ds buckles. Sometimes it stays off that way. Other times, it turns on halfway through a trip. He currently "just" fits in the oobr in back, so my dad sends him back there by another cm growth and the front will be the only option.

He only rides with my dad for short 5-10 minute trips when necessary- so maybe once every month or 2.

Since there is no way to keep the airbag off, sitting as far back as possible and using his backless booster is probably our best option, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC