Question Safety rating for Evenflo Chase LX - Canada

G

Gabrielle

Ideally, I would like a Britax Pioneer, but I am wondering if an Evenflo Chase LX is a safe. He just turned five and is ready to move out of the front facing Britax. He is of a slim build and could definitely benefit from the 5 point harness. The Evenflo Chase is currently on sale but I do not want to compromise safety! Help please.

ADS

featherhead

The Evenflo Chase only harnesses to 40 lbs. Check out the Harmony Defender instead. It's only available at Walmart I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure if it's in store, or only online. It harnesses to 65 lbs, and becomes a decent booster afterwards as well.

Keeanh

The Chase doesn't last as long as a Britax convertible. The harness limit is only 40lbs. Has he outgrown his current seat? What are his stats, and what's your budget for a new seat?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Welcome to car-seat.org!

If your son is *quite* slim, it's possible that the 40 lb weight limit on the Chase harness would be all you'd need to get him to an appropriate booster age. If the sale you are looking at is really good, it might be worth the risk that he'd need another seat later, and the Chase would buy him a little more harness height than the Britax. The tricky thing with the Chase, though, is that you pretty much *have* to outgrow it by weight if you want to be able to use it as a booster as well. If he outgrows it by height before he hits 40 lbs, then he isn't eligible to use it as a booster. How much does he weigh now and what is his seated shoulder height? Do you have a younger child that you could pass the Chase down to if you are able to get a Pioneer or other taller/higher weight capacity seat for him later?

When you say that he is ready to move out of the Britax, is that because he wants a more grown-up looking booster? or is he actually close to outgrowing the Britax?

If he hasn't outgrown his Britax convertible, you might be best off keeping him in it and seeing if he can stay in it until he's ready to learn how to use a dedicated booster. I don't know the rules in Canada for harness vs boostering, but at his age it would be considered safe to try a booster as long as it fits him properly, he can follow the booster rules, and he meets the requirements of the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

featherhead

Welcome to car-seat.org!

If your son is *quite* slim, it's possible that the 40 lb weight limit on the Chase harness would be all you'd need to get him to an appropriate booster age. If the sale you are looking at is really good, it might be worth the risk that he'd need another seat later, and the Chase would buy him a little more harness height than the Britax. The tricky thing with the Chase, though, is that you pretty much *have* to outgrow it by weight if you want to be able to use it as a booster as well. If he outgrows it by height before he hits 40 lbs, then he isn't eligible to use it as a booster. How much does he weigh now and what is his seated shoulder height? Do you have a younger child that you could pass the Chase down to if you are able to get a Pioneer or other taller/higher weight capacity seat for him later?

When you say that he is ready to move out of the Britax, is that because he wants a more grown-up looking booster? or is he actually close to outgrowing the Britax?

If he hasn't outgrown his Britax convertible, you might be best off keeping him in it and seeing if he can stay in it until he's ready to learn how to use a dedicated booster. I don't know the rules in Canada for harness vs boostering, but at his age it would be considered safe to try a booster as long as it fits him properly, he can follow the booster rules, and he meets the requirements of the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Canada a child must be at least 40 lbs to use a booster seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC