Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Gabrielle

Canada Safety rating for Evenflo Chase LX - Canada

Ideally, I would like a Britax Pioneer, but I am wondering if an Evenflo Chase LX is a safe. He just turned five and is ready to move out of the front facing Britax. He is of a slim build and could definitely benefit from the 5 point harness. The Evenflo Chase is currently on sale but I do not want to compromise safety! Help please.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Safety rating for Evenflo Chase LX - Canada

The Evenflo Chase only harnesses to 40 lbs. Check out the Harmony Defender instead. It's only available at Walmart I'm pretty sure. I'm not sure if it's in store, or only online. It harnesses to 65 lbs, and becomes a decent booster afterwards as well.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

The Chase doesn't last as long as a Britax convertible. The harness limit is only 40lbs. Has he outgrown his current seat? What are his stats, and what's your budget for a new seat?
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

Safety rating for Evenflo Chase LX - Canada

Welcome to car-seat.org!

If your son is *quite* slim, it's possible that the 40 lb weight limit on the Chase harness would be all you'd need to get him to an appropriate booster age. If the sale you are looking at is really good, it might be worth the risk that he'd need another seat later, and the Chase would buy him a little more harness height than the Britax. The tricky thing with the Chase, though, is that you pretty much *have* to outgrow it by weight if you want to be able to use it as a booster as well. If he outgrows it by height before he hits 40 lbs, then he isn't eligible to use it as a booster. How much does he weigh now and what is his seated shoulder height? Do you have a younger child that you could pass the Chase down to if you are able to get a Pioneer or other taller/higher weight capacity seat for him later?

When you say that he is ready to move out of the Britax, is that because he wants a more grown-up looking booster? or is he actually close to outgrowing the Britax?

If he hasn't outgrown his Britax convertible, you might be best off keeping him in it and seeing if he can stay in it until he's ready to learn how to use a dedicated booster. I don't know the rules in Canada for harness vs boostering, but at his age it would be considered safe to try a booster as long as it fits him properly, he can follow the booster rules, and he meets the requirements of the manufacturer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    Welcome to car-seat.org!

If your son is *quite* slim, it's possible that the 40 lb weight limit on the Chase harness would be all you'd need to get him to an appropriate booster age. If the sale you are looking at is really good, it might be worth the risk that he'd need another seat later, and the Chase would buy him a little more harness height than the Britax. The tricky thing with the Chase, though, is that you pretty much *have* to outgrow it by weight if you want to be able to use it as a booster as well. If he outgrows it by height before he hits 40 lbs, then he isn't eligible to use it as a booster. How much does he weigh now and what is his seated shoulder height? Do you have a younger child that you could pass the Chase down to if you are able to get a Pioneer or other taller/higher weight capacity seat for him later?

When you say that he is ready to move out of the Britax, is that because he wants a more grown-up looking booster? or is he actually close to outgrowing the Britax?

If he hasn't outgrown his Britax convertible, you might be best off keeping him in it and seeing if he can stay in it until he's ready to learn how to use a dedicated booster. I don't know the rules in Canada for harness vs boostering, but at his age it would be considered safe to try a booster as long as it fits him properly, he can follow the booster rules, and he meets the requirements of the manufacturer.

In Canada a child must be at least 40 lbs to use a booster seat.

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

7. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    In Canada a child must be at least 40 lbs to use a booster seat.

Thank you! I had a feeling that there might be a rule like that that I was missing.

Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)