Seat covers with airbags?

2BunniesMommy

My sister just got a new to her and not very old anyway car. She was talking about getting seat covers to help keep it nice. I told her that she can't because of the side air bags being in the sides of the front seats. This was the info I had found out 3 years ago when I got the first car I've ever had that side air bags and I wanted seat covers.

So, when I told my sister that they are not ok, she said that she has seen ones that say they are air bag compatible.

Are these safe? I am thinking it would be like something added to a car seat where they say it is safe but it really isn't. So, I told her that I don't think it is safe and that I would get opinions on here and let her know. Hoping someone knows!

ADS

2BunniesMommy

She was just looking at ones at Walmart and on Amazon, so not made by the car manufacturer.

Glad to see at least one person agrees with me.

Any differing opinions or anyone else thinking the same? I'd like to have more than one person's answer to go on for a better chance of my sister believing me.

katymyers

I don't believe so, every vehicle I've owned that has side airbags says not to use seat covers in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yep. Unless sold as an accessory by the manufacturer for that specific car I wouldn't trust them not to cause problems.

1mommy

Tell her to look in the manual and see if it covers it. If not is there a way to email the car manufacturer with questions?

2BunniesMommy

Tell her to look in the manual and see if it covers it. If not is there a way to email the car manufacturer with questions?

It is a Ford and I might still have the email from when I asked about using the tether on the front passenger seat for a rear facing seat in the 2nd row, so if I do, I can share that email address with her. Off to check my old emails....

2BunniesMommy

Quick update-
I emailed the person I had talked to at Ford previously and she confirmed that they should not be used and told me where to find that in the manual. Next step will be sharing the info with my sister, but since she is sick with a stomach bug right now, I will wait until she is feeling better to forward the email to her.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC