Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Seat covers with airbags?

My sister just got a new to her and not very old anyway car. She was talking about getting seat covers to help keep it nice. I told her that she can't because of the side air bags being in the sides of the front seats. This was the info I had found out 3 years ago when I got the first car I've ever had that side air bags and I wanted seat covers.

So, when I told my sister that they are not ok, she said that she has seen ones that say they are air bag compatible.

Are these safe? I am thinking it would be like something added to a car seat where they say it is safe but it really isn't. So, I told her that I don't think it is safe and that I would get opinions on here and let her know. Hoping someone knows!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Technician
    Unless they're made by the car manufacturer I wouldn't think they are compatible.
    Last edited by brightredmtn; 01-03-2016 at 07:00 PM.
    DS - 11 Riding in an Incognito
    DD - Two Riding in a Graco Extend2Fit and Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible

Re: Seat covers with airbags?

She was just looking at ones at Walmart and on Amazon, so not made by the car manufacturer.

Glad to see at least one person agrees with me.

Any differing opinions or anyone else thinking the same? I'd like to have more than one person's answer to go on for a better chance of my sister believing me.

Ok, now I am begging for answers!

Please, if anyone knows, help me out here

I don't believe so, every vehicle I've owned that has side airbags says not to use seat covers in the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yep. Unless sold as an accessory by the manufacturer for that specific car I wouldn't trust them not to cause problems.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Another vote for 'heck no'...don't cover any airbags with anything.
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Tell her to look in the manual and see if it covers it. If not is there a way to email the car manufacturer with questions?
    Mommy to Jake, a.k.a Booger Breath #1- born March 2012 and Sawyer, my little "Soy Bean"- born May 2014

Playing the Car Seat Shuffle between a True Fit Premier, Guide 65, Graco MySize, Graco Milestone and a Maxi Cosi Pria

Quote Originally Posted by 1mommy View Post
    Tell her to look in the manual and see if it covers it. If not is there a way to email the car manufacturer with questions?
    It is a Ford and I might still have the email from when I asked about using the tether on the front passenger seat for a rear facing seat in the 2nd row, so if I do, I can share that email address with her. Off to check my old emails....

Quick update-
    I emailed the person I had talked to at Ford previously and she confirmed that they should not be used and told me where to find that in the manual. Next step will be sharing the info with my sister, but since she is sick with a stomach bug right now, I will wait until she is feeling better to forward the email to her.