3 across in a 2013 CRV

Jallia

In June, we'll be having our third kiddo and will need to fit 3 across in our 2013 CRV. In addition to the newborn we'll also have a 22-month old and a small (currently 37 lbs and 42 inches tall) 6 1/2 year old.

Seats we currently own: 2x Safety 1st Complete Air, Graco Nautilus, Britax Marathon classic, Chicco Keyfit 30.

Seats I'm considering purchasing: Britax Frontier, Clek Foonf or Fllo.

Has anyone puzzled together any of the seats I've mentioned? I'd love to keep using the Nautilus but I'm not sure it'll fit. I'm currently leaning towards Chicco Keyfit 30, Britax Frontier (hopefully in the middle because the big guy can buckle himself in) and Clek Foonf rear-facing. I would very much love some advice!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh boy. I don't think either the Naitilus or Frontier will work 3 across there.

I would likely try the Keyfit and the Complete Airs, one rear and one forward facing. If that doesn't give enough room I'd look at an even narrower combination seat for the 6 year old. The Defender or maybe, because it can puzzle, and is higher, SecureKid.

(Am I recalling correctly no Graco Tranzitions in Canada yet?)

Jallia

Thanks for your reply ketchupqueen. :) I was under the impression that the Frontier is a very narrow seat. Am I thinking of the wrong one?

bubbaray

Thanks for your reply ketchupqueen. :) I was under the impression that the Frontier is a very narrow seat. Am I thinking of the wrong one?

The Frontier is a wide seat. Not narrow. Possibly you are thinking of a Radian? The Frontier rarely works in 3 across situations, except in wide vehicles like full-size pickup trucks.

Mary_Ann

I drive a Scion xB which is smaller than your CRV and I have 3 across. When my third was born, DD1 was 6y8m (50lb and 48") and DD2 was 2.5yo (28lb and 32").

My first set up was, from driver to passenger:
RF Radian with AA/ FF Radian / RF B-Safe

When we switched DS to a convertible:
RF Foonf/RF Boulevard/FF Radian

The Foonf might be narrow, I don't find it particularly easy to puzzle. The Radian is way better in that regard.

Jallia

Thanks for the replies ladies. I double-checked and I have the name right. I want a harnessed booster for the 6-year old and I read that the britax frontier is only 19" wide. As I'd like to put it in the middle and have the two rear-facing seats on each side, I was hoping that would work. What other harnessed boosters are out there that might work better?

Thanks again!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Thanks for the replies ladies. I double-checked and I have the name right. I want a harnessed booster for the 6-year old and I read that the britax frontier is only 19" wide. As I'd like to put it in the middle and have the two rear-facing seats on each side, I was hoping that would work. What other harnessed boosters are out there that might work better?

Thanks again!
19" is quite wide, although I'm not sure that's the widest point, and it's the same width all the way down which is quite problematic for 3 across.

The Harmony Defender and Evenflo SecureKid I mentioned above are both narrower combination seats and play much nicer with other seats in a tight puzzling situation.

Keeanh

If the 2013 CRV is the same as the 09, the trouble is the belt / UAS setup rather than the overall width. It's kind of a 60/40 setup where you have a ton of room on one seat and have to squeeze two seats in the space that's left. I would try Keyfit outboard passenger side with seatbelt, and RF Complete Air in the middle with seatbelt. If that fits, you would be able to put whatever you wanted drivers side outboard.

Mary_Ann

Mary Ann, what did you switch to once the 6 year old exceeded the height limit in the Radian?

She's 7 yo and still in the Radian. She's on the verge of outgrowing it, but we should be good until next year. I still don't know what we will do. I'm hoping that Peg Perego's new armless booster will be out in time!

Jallia

If the 2013 CRV is the same as the 09, the trouble is the belt / UAS setup rather than the overall width. It's kind of a 60/40 setup where you have a ton of room on one seat and have to squeeze two seats in the space that's left. I would try Keyfit outboard passenger side with seatbelt, and RF Complete Air in the middle with seatbelt. If that fits, you would be able to put whatever you wanted drivers side outboard.

You're absolutely right. We do indeed have a 60/40 type split. I'm trying to wrap my head around how I'd get our toddler buckled in a RF seat in the middle. I'm quite short and with him being so wiggly I think it would be awful tricky. Maybe I could do a FF narrow seat there for the 6-year old. He's still small enough to be able to fit into a carseat rather than a booster...this is so much trickier than I anticipated!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jallia

Wondering if this setup would work: Clek Fllo RF outboard for 20-month old, Clek Fllo FF center for 6-year old, Chicco Keyfit outboard for nb (to be swapped out for 3rd Fllo once outgrown).

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It's possible. I would contact Clek directly and see if they have a three across or any other fit information for you with their seats in that vehicle. They have a large database to reference for these kinds of questions.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC