Question Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

U

Unregistered

Help! We just found out we are having another set of twins in May and need to buy a new car that will hold all four of our kids. We know we want a Minivan but I am curious as to what will work for our family. My twin boys will be 3.5 when the babies are born and are currently rear facing in chicco nextfits. They may be switched to forward facing by May as they are almost to the 40lb weight limit. I'd like the new babies to have Chicco key fits as we had those with my boys and I really like them. That all being said what van would work best with two infant seats and two convertibles. My boys most likely wont know how to buckle up either so the back row will need easy access. Thank you for the help! So many things to consider with another set of twins!

Lindsay

ADS

lgenne

Hi, and welcome to car-seat.org!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Easily the top recommendation for your situation, if it's in your budget, is an 8 seat 2011+ Honda Odyssey. At least to begin with, I'd remove a captain's chair, put the babies in the remaining 2nd row seats, and forward face the older 2 in the 3rd row.

mping

I have an '09 Ody and love it. I have both captain seats pushed together to create an aisle to the 3rd row. You could FF the bigs there and rf the littles in the captain seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaChirpy

Hi, and welcome to car-seat.org!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Easily the top recommendation for your situation, if it's in your budget, is an 8 seat 2011+ Honda Odyssey. At least to begin with, I'd remove a captain's chair, put the babies in the remaining 2nd row seats, and forward face the older 2 in the 3rd row.

Is there any particular reason you said 2011+ ?

MamaChirpy

The Ody was completely redesigned in the 2011 model, so yes, lots of reasons. What do you want to know about?

I was just wondering about the seats mostly. I love how the second row can be configured multiple ways. But I did wonder about the back seat. It seems many vehicles that are supposed to hold 3 passengers on the back seat actually do not. Or do so very poorly. I wondered if the back bench of the Ody can actually comfortably hold 3 passengers. Or three car seats/boosters.

Oh and the "plus one" seat. (That is the seat on the second row in the middle, right?) Is it usable for convertible seats? Or just infant seats with bases? It looks mighty narrow.

lgenne

Comparing the 2011+ Ody vs. Sienna, the 3rd row of the Ody is dreamy. 3 tether anchors vs. 2 or 1 in the Sienna depending on exactly which model year you're looking at. The headrests are easy to remove and don't really interfere with car seat installs if they're up. The center seat is quite usable, vs. the Sienna center 3rd row which is 11" wide, I think. The lower anchors are usable for latched boosters in the Ody, because they line up with the seat belts, unlike the one set of lower anchors in the Sienna 3rd row. But even the Sienna 3rd row is dreamy in comparison with the Caravan/T&C.

For the +1, yes it's narrow and has its quirks, but you can take just about any kid and find a car seat that will work there for them. That's definitely not true for the +1 of the earlier generation. You can compare the lengths of the threads for them:

Honda Odyssey 2011+ "plus one" successful install thread
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

Honda Odyssey "Plus One" (2005-2010 Odyssey model years) Successful Installation Thread
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88571

MamaChirpy

Comparing the 2011+ Ody vs. Sienna, the 3rd row of the Ody is dreamy. 3 tether anchors vs. 2 or 1 in the Sienna depending on exactly which model year you're looking at. The headrests are easy to remove and don't really interfere with car seat installs if they're up. The center seat is quite usable, vs. the Sienna center 3rd row which is 11" wide, I think. The lower anchors are usable for latched boosters in the Ody, because they line up with the seat belts, unlike the one set of lower anchors in the Sienna 3rd row. But even the Sienna 3rd row is dreamy in comparison with the Caravan/T&C.

For the +1, yes it's narrow and has its quirks, but you can take just about any kid and find a car seat that will work there for them. That's definitely not true for the +1 of the earlier generation. You can compare the lengths of the threads for them:

Honda Odyssey 2011+ "plus one" successful install thread
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

Honda Odyssey "Plus One" (2005-2010 Odyssey model years) Successful Installation Thread
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88571

Makes the case for the Ody really clear! Ha! Thank you very much for your help. [emoji4]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC