Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Unregistered
    Guest

    Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Help! We just found out we are having another set of twins in May and need to buy a new car that will hold all four of our kids. We know we want a Minivan but I am curious as to what will work for our family. My twin boys will be 3.5 when the babies are born and are currently rear facing in chicco nextfits. They may be switched to forward facing by May as they are almost to the 40lb weight limit. I'd like the new babies to have Chicco key fits as we had those with my boys and I really like them. That all being said what van would work best with two infant seats and two convertibles. My boys most likely wont know how to buckle up either so the back row will need easy access. Thank you for the help! So many things to consider with another set of twins!

    Lindsay

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Hi, and welcome to car-seat.org!

    Do you have a budget in mind?

    Easily the top recommendation for your situation, if it's in your budget, is an 8 seat 2011+ Honda Odyssey. At least to begin with, I'd remove a captain's chair, put the babies in the remaining 2nd row seats, and forward face the older 2 in the 3rd row.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    82

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Congrats!! And I agree with the ody rec. its awesome.

  5. #4
    CPS Fanatic Keeanh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Salmon Arm, BC
    Posts
    2,976

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    If you're looking for a used vehicle, you could also check out the 2004 - 2010 Toyota Sienna 8p.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

  6. #5
    Carseat Crazy mping's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Oak Park, IL
    Posts
    440

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    I have an '09 Ody and love it. I have both captain seats pushed together to create an aisle to the 3rd row. You could FF the bigs there and rf the littles in the captain seats.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E 3/21/06 4'6" 62lbs Graco Affix/Harmony Literider/Graco Turbo Booster/Bubble Bum
    G 1/31/08 3'5" 32lbs Britax Frontier 80//Graco Turbo Booster/Graco Affix
    J 10/23/14 17lbs 26in Britax Boulevard CT

  7. #6
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    386

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    Hi, and welcome to car-seat.org!

    Do you have a budget in mind?

    Easily the top recommendation for your situation, if it's in your budget, is an 8 seat 2011+ Honda Odyssey. At least to begin with, I'd remove a captain's chair, put the babies in the remaining 2nd row seats, and forward face the older 2 in the 3rd row.

    Is there any particular reason you said 2011+ ?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    The Ody was completely redesigned in the 2011 model, so yes, lots of reasons. What do you want to know about?

  9. #8
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    386

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    The Ody was completely redesigned in the 2011 model, so yes, lots of reasons. What do you want to know about?

    I was just wondering about the seats mostly. I love how the second row can be configured multiple ways. But I did wonder about the back seat. It seems many vehicles that are supposed to hold 3 passengers on the back seat actually do not. Or do so very poorly. I wondered if the back bench of the Ody can actually comfortably hold 3 passengers. Or three car seats/boosters.

    Oh and the "plus one" seat. (That is the seat on the second row in the middle, right?) Is it usable for convertible seats? Or just infant seats with bases? It looks mighty narrow.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    CPS Fanatic
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,264

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Comparing the 2011+ Ody vs. Sienna, the 3rd row of the Ody is dreamy. 3 tether anchors vs. 2 or 1 in the Sienna depending on exactly which model year you're looking at. The headrests are easy to remove and don't really interfere with car seat installs if they're up. The center seat is quite usable, vs. the Sienna center 3rd row which is 11" wide, I think. The lower anchors are usable for latched boosters in the Ody, because they line up with the seat belts, unlike the one set of lower anchors in the Sienna 3rd row. But even the Sienna 3rd row is dreamy in comparison with the Caravan/T&C.

    For the +1, yes it's narrow and has its quirks, but you can take just about any kid and find a car seat that will work there for them. That's definitely not true for the +1 of the earlier generation. You can compare the lengths of the threads for them:

    Honda Odyssey 2011+ "plus one" successful install thread
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

    Honda Odyssey "Plus One" (2005-2010 Odyssey model years) Successful Installation Thread
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88571

  11. #10
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    386

    Re: Purchasing a car for 2nd set of twins

    Quote Originally Posted by lgenne View Post
    Comparing the 2011+ Ody vs. Sienna, the 3rd row of the Ody is dreamy. 3 tether anchors vs. 2 or 1 in the Sienna depending on exactly which model year you're looking at. The headrests are easy to remove and don't really interfere with car seat installs if they're up. The center seat is quite usable, vs. the Sienna center 3rd row which is 11" wide, I think. The lower anchors are usable for latched boosters in the Ody, because they line up with the seat belts, unlike the one set of lower anchors in the Sienna 3rd row. But even the Sienna 3rd row is dreamy in comparison with the Caravan/T&C.

    For the +1, yes it's narrow and has its quirks, but you can take just about any kid and find a car seat that will work there for them. That's definitely not true for the +1 of the earlier generation. You can compare the lengths of the threads for them:

    Honda Odyssey 2011+ "plus one" successful install thread
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=246908

    Honda Odyssey "Plus One" (2005-2010 Odyssey model years) Successful Installation Thread
    http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=88571

    Makes the case for the Ody really clear! Ha! Thank you very much for your help.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •