Best Practice for booster versus extended harness

I hope this is the correct forum for this question.

I asked a question separately to keep my very tall 3 yo RF longer, and that got me thinking down the road.

I originally thought I would eventually purchase a Frontier for my girls (because they are both so tall), but then read on various threads about cervical forces with forward facing children in accidents, and Swedish practice of going directly from RF to booster. I also have Clicktights and a Nextfit, which I believe should be fairly long-lasting forward-facing (?).

In addition, my older daughter, although difficult in other situations, is very responsive to car seat safety, making me stop the car if she thinks her harness is too loose (an issue with the Clicktights when the girls have their legs bent). If she stays this way, she would be good about booster training.

What is current thinking on booster use versus harnessing, and are there resources with comparative information available?

Thanks?

ADS

mping

I believe the current research points to 4 and 40lbs being just as safe as harnessing assuming the child can sit properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MamaChirpy

I also want to know where to look for more information. My DD will be 6 in March. She is tall, but seems so frail (for lack of a better word) to me. She is currently harnessed but wants to booster. She is mature enough to do it but I worry about whether boostering is as safe as a harness.

jjordan

I am unaware of any studies showing conclusive safety benefits to either (as long as boostering is delayed until the child is at least 4 years old and at least 40 pounds). I suspect that in real life, certain types of collisions might have better safety for harnessed kids and certain types might have better safety for boostered kids. It also might depend on the specific child seat that is being used.

But the bottom line is that both options are very safe if properly used. So focus on proper use (including boostered children sitting properly in a booster that positions the seat belt well) and then try to let go of the worry. :)

Personally I think there is benefit to switching to a booster when you still have a harnessed seat available that the child can use. That way you can remind the child that if he/she does not follow booster rules, he/she goes back to the harness.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Personally I think there is benefit to switching to a booster when you still have a harnessed seat available that the child can use. That way you can remind the child that if he/she does not follow booster rules, he/she goes back to the harness.

This is my thinking too. I am even thinking of introducing my kiddo to a booster using a combination seat that easily converts between the two modes (like a Milestone or Atlas) so that I can pull over and change modes if necessary. (My oldest is 2, so I don't actually have any experience, but I understand the worry!)

lgenne

This is my thinking too. I am even thinking of introducing my kiddo to a booster using a combination seat that easily converts between the two modes (like a Milestone or Atlas) so that I can pull over and change modes if necessary. (My oldest is 2, so I don't actually have any experience, but I understand the worry!)

Your kids are petite, right? That could work if they're under the LATCH limit. My only booster age kid was over that limit before he was vaguely ready for a booster.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Recently the CDC quietly changed their recommendation to age 5. I don't believe we have a reason "why" but it's difficult to believe they did it without a reason.

In addition, there is a study that shows a greater risk of head injury to children in boosters under age 5.

For those two reasons, I'd aim for the 5th birthday, 40lb, and sitting properly. Beyond that, I think for the most part it's gravy.

(FWIW I do give some credence to the Swedes school of thought... in an ideal world I'd RF to 6 and then flip directly into a booster. Typically what happens is I flip FF into a harness shortly after the 4th birthday and move to a booster around kindergarten age.)

Keeyamah

I started "booster training" my oldest somewhere around 4.5-5 yrs old (I forget exactly, which is horrible because he is only a few months over 6) because I have in laws who couldn't use a harness seat correctly. Now that he is used to riding in a booster and my rules for doing so (bum scooted back, no reaching for something dropped, no fiddling with seat belt, seat belt stays in front of him, etc) I don't worry as much if they want to take him somewhere or riding with a friends parents. I'd say it only took him about 6 months to get the rules down.

Athena

I'm not convinced many 4-5 year olds have the impulse control to follow the rules 100% of the time every ride and I'm not comfortable with a single unsafe ride. Waiting until 6, my DD followed the rules perfectly from day 1 and still does.

bnsnyde

It came down to booster creating a great belt fit every time, versus battling harnesses that were not always tight enough, positioning chest clip, etc. and having dad never quite get it right. We're loading and checking 6 seats every ride, so that was also an issue.

I had my oldest harnessed at 8 but now at age 5 am OK with a booster if the child can sit properly. I prefer highbacks only, if at all possible.

I guess for our second spare van, when we get it, it will be filled with backless (Cleks where they fit and latch, and some other for the other spots). It will be a commuting car to the train station so hardly used by kids but should be equipped for the older kids, at any rate. Backless won't block dad's view and he hates carseats and boosters since they block his view.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Oh! So sorry. I was out of town on vacation and then starting new job. Let me see if I can dig it up for you :)

Baylor

I had one that sat perfectly from 4 in a booster and then another who needed a little longer but he boostered on short trips at 4.

I think it depends on the kids and situation and size and what works for you.

From all I have been told after a certain age, there seems to be no conclusive proof that one is safer than the other all things equal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC