Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Unregistered

Urgent! New car-suv vs minivan

Hi there, we are about to purchase a car and are struggling with this question. The only thing we care about is safety. We are deciding between a new Honda odyssey or a 2013 yukon xl. I love all the airbags on the van has to offer but I'm conflicted because of the big size/weight the yukon xl would offer as protection. I'll take any insight/opinions. We have two kiddos (3, 1, one on the way). I can't get out of my mind that I love the van, but if I were in an accident would I be wishing I were in the big giant Yukon xl 😁 thanks! Purchasing in 4 days!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Urgent! New car-suv vs minivan

The Odyssey actually has better safety ratings than the Yukon. If you love it, go for it!

Carseat Crazy
    Sorry I can't link from my phone but take a look at the iihs safety reviews and you can compare better. I agree with the above poster that the Ody comes out ahead. And in my opinion much easier to load three little ones into!

Carseat Crazy
    Agree on the ody. The big SUVs look like they would offer more protection due to size but minivans are the perfect combo of size and weight for safe driving. I find cars too light and SUVs too big to take those sharp turns and handle skids.

Carseat Crazy

I finally was able to get rid of my awful Ford Expedition for a Honda Odyssey, and I am so so much happier. Big SUVs are the worst with a bunch of kids - there isn't enough cargo space for strollers, large grocery runs, etc. The giant swinging doors are like deathtraps and endanger nearby cars when the kids open them. The sliding van doors with remote are a dream. Climbing up to buckle babies into car seats is a pain the SUV and so easy in the van. The gas mileage was the worst in the SUV. And safety wise, I feel much safer in the van (1) because of safety ratings and (2) because I don't feel nearly as likely to flip the vehicle.

Yes, get the van. So much more convenient and usable for a family. The Ody has excellent safety ratings. And you will feel more in control of it when you're driving, which means you will probably be better able to avoid collisions altogether.
    17yrs, 15yrs, 13yrs, 11yrs , 9yrs (58", 75lbs, Incognito), 7yrs (46", 50lbs, Dreamtime), 5yrs (41", 35lbs, RN), 3yrs (30lbs, RF Marathon), NB (Peg 4-35)
    '14 Mazda5, '06 Chevy Express, '08 Toyota Tundra

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

I wanted to point you to Informed For Life which is really helpful to me: http://www.informedforlife.org/
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Sorry this is off topic

What if you can afford the newest car. I have a 2003 suburban and since I can't afford the minivan with all the airbags I went for the bigger vehicle. Would all of you have done the same?

To the original poster one thing that would make me lean towards the SUV is the amount of room between the back of the head of the 3rd row and the outside of the vehicle. With the minivan there is not much crumple factor maybe 1.5-2 feet and with an SUV there is a lot of room between the back of the 3rd row passenger's head and he outside of the vehicle- probably 3-4 feet so more crumple factor.
    But on the other hand the people on this forum are super safety oriented and they really do their research so I would probably go with their recommendations over my silly reasons lol

Good luck and congrats on the upcoming purchase of your new car! So exciting!!
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Another vote for the van! As well as being safer, as previously mentioned. The sliding doors are wonderful when you have kids to get in and out, no worries about open doors smacking the cars next to you and they are more out of your way when reaching car seats. They also feel more like a car to drive and are easier to park.

Quote Originally Posted by seb3244 View Post
    Sorry this is off topic

What if you can afford the newest car. I have a 2003 suburban and since I can't afford the minivan with all the airbags I went for the bigger vehicle. Would all of you have done the same?

To the original poster one thing that would make me lean towards the SUV is the amount of room between the back of the head of the 3rd row and the outside of the vehicle. With the minivan there is not much crumple factor maybe 1.5-2 feet and with an SUV there is a lot of room between the back of the 3rd row passenger's head and he outside of the vehicle- probably 3-4 feet so more crumple factor.
    But on the other hand the people on this forum are super safety oriented and they really do their research so I would probably go with their recommendations over my silly reasons lol

If you look at the Informed for Life archives the Suburban/Tahoe and its twins have ALWAYS been among the bottom performers for their model years. I wouldn't buy one thinking it's safe, if you need four wheel drive or high towing capacity and still need to sit a family then it's your best bet but minivans always have a safety advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderator - CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by seb3244 View Post
    Sorry this is off topic

As far as affordability, minivans are typically a much better buy. If you can afford a certain year SUV with space comparable to a minivan, then it is highly likely that the same price range will get you a minivan that is several years newer, and is therefore likely to benefit from more safety features.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava