Symphony DLX-- easy to use? Good for grandparents?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Title says it all -- is the symphony DLX (with Surelatch) easy to use for a grandparent who needs to install/uninstall frequently? We would use a different harnessed seat after 40 lbs until using it again as a booster, so a seatbelt install wouldn't be necessary as long as the Surelatch is easy to use.

Opinions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

1mommy

Rear facing or forward facing? It's not very long lasting rear facing by height, and the Sure Latch can be finicky depending on the car so try it first, and make sure they know how to test it to make sure it's tight and that they know how to do a seatbelt install in case of an emergency or failure of some sort.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It would be rear-facing and maybe forward-facing. It doesn't have to last long because once my older daughter is FF, they could move the younger one to the Boulevard CT. I basically just need it to get a kid to 2 years RF and then as a belt-positioning booster.

MelodyoftheForest

I loved it when I tried it in my car (Chevy HHR) even with somewhat recessed anchors. Would have gotten it in a heartbeat if it lasted longer RF! Loved the install. Found it easy, and loved that you could push on one side at a time to get it tight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just was looking at some reviews. Is the seated height max for RF really 22"? Isn't that the same as the Coccoro? Should I expect this seat to be outgrown around 2 - 3 years old -- at the same time as the Coccoro?

I guess I had thought that the limiting factor was the standing height limit, not the seated height.

MelodyoftheForest

That looks like an accurate seated height on the Symphony, but the Cocorro is only 21" inside, so 20" seated height assuming 1" rule.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Well, I played with it today at TRU while my mom was doing some shopping next door at DSW. I really wanted to love it, but I actually found the install really difficult -- definitely not Grandparent-friendly enough for my in-laws. Seemed no matter how many times I pushed on the seat, there was still some wiggle, and I was using my full weight. Must have been something with the placement of my lower anchors -- or maybe the angle of the seat back.

cookie123

It could be awesome for their car though. Just saying. It was great in my Prius - Sure latch, not the Symphony. It went in there very nicely and was easy without latch too.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It could be awesome for their car though. Just saying. It was great in my Prius - Sure latch, not the Symphony. It went in there very nicely and was easy without latch too.

Yeah, the Securekid went in fairly easily, but it doesn't have a no-re thread harness, which is why I was looking at the Symphony -- plus, we are currently in the market for a RF seat, so I figured we could get use out of all modes if we got it now.

I think that the Securekid works better because it has those little plates to push the Surelatch connectors in at the right angle. The problem with the Securekid is that it pushed her head forward and I have read that some kids find that really uncomfortable. That and the fact that it doesn't have a no-retread harness. At the point when my DD1 is FF, I think my in-laws will probably only be transporting her occasionally and so I don't want them to suddenly have to pick her up unexpectedly AND realize that they need to change the harness in a school pick-up line or something.

But maybe she won't grow fast enough that that would be an issue...

In any case, if the Symphony doesn't fit the bill, then I'm not going to worry about the FF/Booster stage yet. My experience is that -- aside from RF space being tighter in the Forester and the leather seats in the outback being a pain -- the Forester and Outback installs are comparable. So for now I will just focus on finding good RF seats that work in all cars.

cookie123

Yeah, the Securekid went in fairly easily, but it doesn't have a no-re thread harness, which is why I was looking at the Symphony -- plus, we are currently in the market for a RF seat, so I figured we could get use out of all modes if we got it now.

I think that the Securekid works better because it has those little plates to push the Surelatch connectors in at the right angle. The problem with the Securekid is that it pushed her head forward and I have read that some kids find that really uncomfortable. That and the fact that it doesn't have a no-retread harness. At the point when my DD1 is FF, I think my in-laws will probably only be transporting her occasionally and so I don't want them to suddenly have to pick her up unexpectedly AND realize that they need to change the harness in a school pick-up line or something.

But maybe she won't grow fast enough that that would be an issue...

In any case, if the Symphony doesn't fit the bill, then I'm not going to worry about the FF/Booster stage yet. My experience is that -- aside from RF space being tighter in the Forester and the leather seats in the outback being a pain -- the Forester and Outback installs are comparable. So for now I will just focus on finding good RF seats that work in all cars.

I get you want a rear facing seat. I just meant maybe the Symphony would work great in their car even if it didn't work in yours.

I've been getting a little laugh at those of you quoting me in the middle of the night! I guess you guys are up feeding the babies. Lol!

meljc

We had a Symphony DLX for several years as a nanny/grandparent seat and it was great. It was used in a newer CR-V and various BMW/Mercedes models. The SureLatch worked really well in our experience, sometimes you just have to re-angle the connectors to get the last click or two. Not quite as fool-proof as advertised, but much easier for the grandparents than a pull strap. The harness adjuster is also nice and easy -- I can't say that for our Nextfits (x3). The biggest issues are the width if you're trying to install side-by-side and the 37" standing height limit (my son hit this while he still had lots of room above his head even when using the middle headrest setting). The seat was crashed right as my son was about to outgrow the seat and there was much hand-wringing about what to buy since that seat was easier to install and use than anything else out there.

We now have two SecureKids (DLX and Platinum) and they're going strong. My son loves the seats and they're super easy to install. The light weight is also a boon since one seat is uninstalled/installed frequently. He has never complained of discomfort, though his head sometimes slumps when he falls asleep (he's 4y2m). The harness does require re-threading, but that really needs to be done quite infrequently.

ETA: My son (granted, he's very small) outgrew the CCO RF at 3y1m and the Symphony RF at 3y5m.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks. I think we are going to skip the symphony. My in-laws can use the Roundabout and the Boulevard Clicktight for now and then we will try out the Securekid when my daughter is FF. I am hoping that the head issue had more to to with the very upright angle of the demo seat at BBB and that when the seat is installed in a car it will be a little more reclined and not be an issue. And you're right about not needing to re-thread the harness often -- I can always "play car seat" when we are at their house and re-thread for them if she is getting close to outgrowing a particular setting.

PS, meljc, since you have both the DLX and Platinum, do to notice a significant difference with the outlast fabric?

meljc

PS, meljc, since you have both the DLX and Platinum, do to notice a significant difference with the outlast fabric?

That's tough to say, as the DLX lives with our nanny. The Platinum has nicer feeling fabric and when my husband remembers to use the buckle pockets, they're convenient. We might notice more of a difference once summer hits but we only made the switch in October. If you're worried about comfort/slump, the Platinum actually comes with a little lower back cushion. I recently saw it tossed to the side in the car, so I guess my son isn't using it much but I would definitely put it in if we were taking that car for a road trip. (He's FF in a Nextfit in our family car)

cookie123

I wish Evenflo would make a narrow, convertible. I like their longer crotch strap and self adjusting harness height and Sure Latch.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Ok, so I am resurrecting this thread because we are once again considering the Symphony. After trying out a bunch of seats, I find the harness really easy to adjust and that's what the grandparents are struggling with right now.

A BRU employee saw me trying it out with my daughter and she steered me away from it, saying that the Evenflo harnesses are "not recommended." I asked if they get harder to use over time or something (since I was finding it very easy in store) and she said that they have a "3-track system" which makes it get stuck.

Any idea what she's referring to? Is this the experience of others out there? I don't want to buy a seat specifically for a feature if it's not going to deliver on that feature -- on the same point this same employee brazenly told me that Britax was the "safest" brand, so I am not sure she is the best source of information.

Is the Symphony harness difficult to use?

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Our BRU tried to talk me into a Symphony after I explained I was looking for a seat to RF a 4.5yo. I'd put no stock in what they have to say (unless Jools works at your store, of course.)

brooksfamily

I've borrowed a symphony before. It was easy to use, but it took some effort to get the last few clicks on the install. I would consider the harness grandparent friendly but not the install. I also felt like overall the seat was pretty large. We've not an outback and my favorite for east of install in that car is the Britax G4 seats, but I know you already have one a Roundabout.

What about a milestone? Not too bulky, will get you all the modes you need. I've never installed one in our car but I'd venture to guess it wouldn't be too difficult.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I've borrowed a symphony before. It was easy to use, but it took some effort to get the last few clicks on the install. I would consider the harness grandparent friendly but not the install. I also felt like overall the seat was pretty large. We've not an outback and my favorite for east of install in that car is the Britax G4 seats, but I know you already have one a Roundabout.

What about a milestone? Not too bulky, will get you all the modes you need. I've never installed one in our car but I'd venture to guess it wouldn't be too difficult.

Interesting. Can I ask what car you were installing the symphony into?

I am definitely considering the milestone. It has the easiest harness I have used. I just don't know that it's as "exposed" as the harness adjuster strap on the Symphony.

1mommy

Interesting. Can I ask what car you were installing the symphony into? I am definitely considering the milestone. It has the easiest harness I have used. I just don't know that it's as "exposed" as the harness adjuster strap on the Symphony. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exposed as you can pull the harness from the back to tighten it? You can't but it's super easy to tighten without it, and I thought you said the grandparents might not want to use that trick? I love our milestone, found it super easy to tighten and to install with the seatbelt, the latch was a little annoying switching between forward facing and rear facing but then it was easy to install.

MelodyoftheForest

The Symphony has straps that adjust from the hips rather than the shoulders, so there is no pulling from the back of the seat. I liked the automatic retracting LATCH install in my Chevy HHR that has somewhat recessed anchors. I liked that I could work on one side at a time to tighten it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC