Upgrade 2005 Ford Excursion to LATCH?

H

hmmacha

I am a grandfather and mechanically proficient. I belatedly found out that my 2005 Ford Excursion is not LATCH complete (or compliant). The manufacturer says this vehicle is exempt from LATCH and no upgrade kit is available.

I wish to make this vehicle LATCH compliant. The outboard second row seats have steel loops on the bottom back on each side but no center connector.

I need to find either:
1. Complete LATCH compliant hardware (kit or separate connectors based on engineering specifications ) OR
2. A center LATCH compliant loop and extenders for the sides to connect the current seat hardware to the LATCH side connectors on the car seat.

I am disappointed that Ford chose to opt out of LATCH for this passenger vehicle but I want to make it safer for my grand children.

Any suggestions on LATCH specifications or the actual connectors themselves?

ADS

Connor's Mom

Unfortunatly the lower anchors of the LATCH system can not be retrofitted to any car or truck. Unless your car/truck came with the from the manufacture there is notheing you can do to make the automobile LATCH compatible.
The top tether anchors can be retrofitted in most automobiles though if you do not already have them.
Hope this helps. :)

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
I am a grandfather and mechanically proficient. I belatedly found out that my 2005 Ford Excursion is not LATCH complete (or compliant). The manufacturer says this vehicle is exempt from LATCH and no upgrade kit is available.

I wish to make this vehicle LATCH compliant. The outboard second row seats have steel loops on the bottom back on each side but no center connector.

I need to find either:
1. Complete LATCH compliant hardware (kit or separate connectors based on engineering specifications ) OR
2. A center LATCH compliant loop and extenders for the sides to connect the current seat hardware to the LATCH side connectors on the car seat.

I am disappointed that Ford chose to opt out of LATCH for this passenger vehicle but I want to make it safer for my grand children.

Any suggestions on LATCH specifications or the actual connectors themselves?

Good for you for wanting to keep your grand children safe :thumbsup:

My 2007 LATCH manual says the following.

02-05 Exursion
2nd Row Center: Tether anchor on back of seat on rear leg
2nd Row Outboard: Tether anchor on back of seat on reat leg

3rd Row Center: NONE
3rd Row Outboard: Right hand seat (1) TA near end of seat cushion back frame.

Notes: For manufacturing ease, some 2nd row seating positions are fitted with (2) tether anchors. Either can be used.
Attach 3rd row trther hook opening facing downward.

As you can see according to this you should have Tether Anchors. You do not have Lower Anchors and they cannot be retrofitted. Sorry it was not better news, but maybe this helps.

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Unfortunatly the lower anchors of the LATCH system can not be retrofitted to any car or truck. Unless your car/truck came with the from the manufacture there is notheing you can do to make the automobile LATCH compatible.
The top tether anchors can be retrofitted in most automobiles though if you do not already have them.
Hope this helps. :)

O/T You have a space large space between Cow and Marathon in you sig. Not sure if you knew. :p

Back to the thread...

Last edited:

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
The good news is, LATCH isn't safer than seatbelt. It is supposed to be easier, but it's not always. Just install the seats properly using the seatbelt. That's the best option!

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
QUOTE=UlrikeDG;257132]The good news is, LATCH isn't safer than seatbelt. It is supposed to be easier, but it's not always. Just install the seats properly using the seatbelt. That's the best option![/QUOTE]

:yeahthat::2thumbsup:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
On the plus side, a seatbelt installation is safe and simple in most cases (all carseats can still be installed with seatbelts, some even fit better with seatbelts than LATCH).
Go ahead and do the seatbelt install and top tether anchorage (for forward all forward facing installed seats, for some rearfacing installed seats, check the seat's manual for guidance), and you will be fine.

:)

sixboys

Hi, I have an '04 Excursion, and I have the same complaint about my truck! Just because Ford didn't have to install lower latch anchors in the truck, they could have!

For what it's worth, I now have a 9 passenger Excursion (I replaced the center console with a jump seat from an F250) with seven very tightly installed carseats. The only position I had and trouble with was the 2nd row center with the automatically retracting lapbelt. I was able to get a great install of my Britax Boulevard by me shoving downward on the seat, while my husband forced the belt back in as tight as he could. It was pretty much impossible for me to do without a second set of hands.

What seats are you installing?

Connor's Mom

O/T You have a space large space between Cow and Marathon in you sig. Not sure if you knew. :p

Actually the "Moo" in CowMoo is typed in white and I am assuming that is the space that you are talking about. ;)
It may not show up that well for you depending what color you have your screen.

pawsnfur

Hi, I have an '04 Excursion, and I have the same complaint about my truck! Just because Ford didn't have to install lower latch anchors in the truck, they could have!

For what it's worth, I now have a 9 passenger Excursion (I replaced the center console with a jump seat from an F250) with seven very tightly installed carseats. The only position I had and trouble with was the 2nd row center with the automatically retracting lapbelt. I was able to get a great install of my Britax Boulevard by me shoving downward on the seat, while my husband forced the belt back in as tight as he could. It was pretty much impossible for me to do without a second set of hands.
I am interested in learning more about how you got the ninth seat in there. I have an '02 Excursion and would LOVE to be able to get another seat in there. What age child would be best up front? I have a radian, a regent, a roundabout, a parkway and a new triumph advance in the truck now. I have four kids plus changing daycare kids, my best freind has three kids and we like to ride together, but can't with all the kids. My oldest two are too big for seats. Any word on where to get a retro-fit tether for the back seat? I would love to put another tethered seat in the way back rather than the booster. The booster child would benefit from a five point tethered, but I can't get another tether back there. Why would ford only put one tether in the thrid row when the back seat is clearley not designed for adults to ride in, no headrests even back there.

U

Unregistered

Resurrecting this old thread to see if anyone has successfully retrofitted the excursion third row with additional tether anchors?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC