Chicco keyfit questions

super_grape

I'm looking for a travel system or a car seat that will snap into the safety first clic IT stroller frame (which is any Dorel seat, basically).

Tonite I came upon a Chicco Nuevo travel system on clearance. I've always heard such good things about the keyfit but I'm wondering how it compares in real life to say, the Onboard infant seats? And also, is it really 9+ lbs? Seems so heavy!

I'm not terribly picky about the infant seat. I'd like it to be a lighter weight and have a decent padding. I also prefer a seat that really attaches well to the base. The older Comfy Carry seats have that puny attattchment at the front of the base that seems kind of flimsy....I've only ever owned the Baby Tren Latch Loc and a graco or 3 so maybe I'm just used to their more sturdy feel?

Any insight you all can offer, or your personal preferences, would be Sooo appreciated:)!

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I don't have a ton of experience, but I thought I should give you a bump.

Several friends of mine have Keyfits and they are well-loved. By today's standards, they are quite heavy, though. But the ease of installation and use (clicking in securely, harness tightening smoothly, etc) are big draws.

I think the Keyfit is also supposed to take up less space than most other infant seats. I have a Cybex infant seat due to space concerns and the Keyfit was too big for us, but i think it's supposed to be the next-most-space-saving after the Cybex seats.
I can't compare to any of the seats you already own, unfortunately, since I don't have those either. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

I've never used a travel system, but we loved our Keyfit. Ease of use was amazing. I've never used an easier seat.

One thing to note: I believe the Keyfit that comes with the travel system has a 22 pound weight limit, which is probably fine. My kid outgrew his by height well before 22 pounds. If you make short, heavy kids and want to use it for a long time, it might make a difference for you.

super_grape

I don't have a ton of experience, but I thought I should give you a bump.

Several friends of mine have Keyfits and they are well-loved. By today's standards, they are quite heavy, though. But the ease of installation and use (clicking in securely, harness tightening smoothly, etc) are big draws.

I think the Keyfit is also supposed to take up less space than most other infant seats. I have a Cybex infant seat due to space concerns and the Keyfit was too big for us, but i think it's supposed to be the next-most-space-saving after the Cybex seats.
I can't compare to any of the seats you already own, unfortunately, since I don't have those either. Hopefully someone with more experience will come along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, taking up less space is appealing since it will be going next to DS's giant cambria....thanks for the bump and the insight:)!

I've never used a travel system, but we loved our Keyfit. Ease of use was amazing. I've never used an easier seat.

One thing to note: I believe the Keyfit that comes with the travel system has a 22 pound weight limit, which is probably fine. My kid outgrew his by height well before 22 pounds. If you make short, heavy kids and want to use it for a long time, it might make a difference for you.

I make chunky, tall babies but the weight limit is not a concern since we always abandon the infant seat around 3-4 months...altho, this will be the first time we'll have a spring baby that will still technically fit in the infant seat come winter....ugh, so many things to think about! Thanks for the input!

super_grape

Well, now I just found a snugride Classic connect 35 on sale. I loved this seat! Toooo many choices, now my head is spinning:p....

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Keyfit is short, but wide, not my fave for fitting next to another seat. Classic 35 is really pretty narrow, might be a good choice. Click 30 or 35 are really super narrow and 7.5 pounds or less to carry, so also a winner there. Not that the weight of the KF ever bugged me, though.
Congrats!!!!!

super_grape

Keyfit is short, but wide, not my fave for fitting next to another seat. Classic 35 is really pretty narrow, might be a good choice. Click 30 or 35 are really super narrow and 7.5 pounds or less to carry, so also a winner there. Not that the weight of the KF ever bugged me, though.
Congrats!!!!!

Thanks:)! I really like the 30 also but wondering for how long it will fit? I'd like to clear next winter if at all possible. I love the euro install option with the 35 too...I'm waffling:p. Picking out a car seat was never this hard?! I did manage to find a Graco snugrider so I'm abandoning the dorel/chicco seat idea and sticking to Graco. Now to decide WHICH graco! Ugh!

Last edited:

lgenne

Congrats!!!!!

Really? The Keyfit is 17" at its widest point. The Click Connect 30 and 35 are 18" at their widest points.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Really? The Keyfit is 17" at its widest point. The Click Connect 30 and 35 are 18" at their widest points.

The widest point is not where you are trying to get your hand next to it to buckle. KF base is pretty wide down between belt anchors, Gracos are way narrower there :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC