Australian tethering...

MelodyoftheForest

Ok, I need help thinking this through.

In the recent thread about safety of infant seats vs. convertibles (http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=281765) HazelandLucy posted this link (http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv23/Session 18 Written.pdf) to a NHTSA paper that seems to show the benefits of Australian-style tethering of a RF car seat. It made me really want to be able to take advantage of this feature, but there are no seats in production for the US that allow this. Some baseless infant seats and the Cocorro do the Euro routing, and a couple infant seats have load legs, and that is it. Grr.

My 18-month-old is RF in a NextFit, which I got because of the easy install, fit to vehicle, and no required settings by weight (she is still just 21lb clothed). We don't have any issues with the seat, and it probably has some rebound control due to the shape of the shell. But isn't catching the seat as it goes forward better? I am seriously considering trying my friend's early 2014 Boulevard in my car sometime to see how it all works as far as fit to car and child Aussie tethering.

I would like V to RF to 4. She has a full 6" over her head in a Scenera Next and is almost 30" standing and 32" by the doctor's length measurement taken with her lying down. I have previously determined that 40" height limit seats should get her to age 4 RF. Do you think she would fit in a newer Britax or Roundabout Classic to 4 if I could get my hands on one?

I should probably take a breath and be happy with what I have, but if I can gain a higher level of safety, why shouldn't I? Thanks if you made it through my brand of logic!

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Well, the main purpose of Australian tethering (and load legs) is, like you said, to prevent/reduce downward rotation. The danger with too much rotation is that in increases the likelihood that a child could hit his/her head on the front seats. The good news for you is that the Chicco NextFit received a "BEST" for crash protection in Consumer Reports' recent testing, so if that's your current seat, I'd feel pretty good about it.

MelodyoftheForest

The good news for you is that the Chicco NextFit received a "BEST" for crash protection in Consumer Reports' recent testing, so if that's your current seat, I'd feel pretty good about it.

That is true, I needed that reminder!

Here is another interesting thought: since there is a range of manufacture dates of the Britax G4.1 convertibles that allow Aussie tethering and the rebound bar, would one be able to use them together on those seats?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
That is true, I needed that reminder!

Here is another interesting thought: since there is a range of manufacture dates of the Britax G4.1 convertibles that allow Aussie tethering and the rebound bar, would one be able to use them together on those seats?

I believe so. I have a G4 Roundabout -- compatible with both RF tethering and the ARB. I have considered calling Britax to ask this same thing, although I can't imagine why it would be problematic to use both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hazelandlucy

I know that in the UK they use load legs (which serve the same purpose as Australian tethers) and rebound bars together so I would think it would be fine. Although reducing downward rotation also greatly reduces rebound so I would rather have the rotation protection than the rebound if had to choose!

I would also feel great about the Next Fit. I was researching and panicking over all this a year ago when looking for a convertible and reading horrible case studies and so desperate for a modern test with heavy RF kids and front seats. Now that a test has finally been done I feel so much better. Kids heads were contained and if the back of the convertible did hit the seat I assume there were not horrible head injuries. I think carseats today have much more protection with EPP/EPS foam and blow molding plastic, etc. I do fantasize about EPS foam on the sides of the door and back of the front seats though! Wish more thought was given to back seat protection and kids in carseats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC