Today Show's Piece on puffy coats and car seats

mom of six

Did anyone else see this today.
http://www.today.com/parents/car-seat-alert-could-wearing-winter-coat-endanger-your-child-t61206

While the information is very valuable the methods they used leave a lot to be desired. The harness was SOOOOOO loose on the dummy. The live model they has was the host's son. He could definitely use a lesson in chest clip positioning and how to check for proper harness tightness.

I always love reading all of your opinions about stuff like this.

Ready, Set, GO!!!

ADS

cookie123

I thought it was pretty good. Showed him in properly at the end. And I think the crash tests brought home the main point. And I liked at the end they said no one should wear puffy coats under their seatbelt. So that was good.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I liked that they showed him being told how to fix ALL his mistakes.

The crash test showed typical levels of misuse IME.

:yeahthat: I have no doubt Miriam Manary set that crash test up. I'm glad they showed clear shots of what a tight harness looks like. I do wish they showed good alternatives to jacket-less riding; there are some places where going without a jacket just isn't feasible or the kid will toss off a backwards jacket or blanket. Fleece is perfectly acceptable.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
While the misuse may have been typical, I think the message would have been a lot clearer if the coat-wearing dummy's harness had been tightened to the pinch test when the coat was on. It would be easy for any parent who knew the basics to say, "well, that's just because they didn't tighten it enough."

Kind of on the flip side, my in-laws', for example, definitely need periodic reminders about appropriate harness tightness regardless of the weather. I have my fingers crossed that they didn't see this because they would use it as justification that they don't need to pull the slack out from the leg area. I am sure the first thing they would say would be, "see? Even when there was visible slack at the shoulders, the tech at the beginning said that the harness 'looked tight'!"

Heather, I think the best winter weather demo I have seen was your BundleMe video. I think the fact that you showed that "perfect use" of the BundleMe still resulted in an unsafe harness is what made that video so compelling. I really wish we could have seen a crash test comparing "perfect use" with a coat versus "perfect use" without a coat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lgenne

Heather, I think the best winter weather demo I have seen was your BundleMe video. I think the fact that you showed that "perfect use" of the BundleMe still resulted in an unsafe harness is what made that video so compelling. I really wish we could have seen a crash test comparing "perfect use" with a coat versus "perfect use" without a coat.

Where is this video? Google isn't helping me!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC