Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician

Rental car says it is "standard elite SUV" similar to Chevy Traverse

I am not at all an SUV expert. If a rental car company offers a "standard elite SUV" that is similar to a Chevy Traverse, what are some of the other makes/models that we could get?

The other (different) SUV categories are:
    Standard SUV (Ford Edge or similar)
    Full size SUV (Chevy Tahoe or similar)
    Premium SUV (Chevy Suburban or similar)
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Rental car says it is "standard elite SUV" similar to Chevy Traverse

Bump -- I am curious too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

I vote they made it up, lol. Their descriptions don't make sense. I don't necessarily consider a suburban a premium suv, just a big one! Lol sounds like someone was getting creative with the normal compact, mid size, full size adjectives and missed the mark plus threw in an extra category

Carseat Crazy
    GMC Acadia, Toyota Highlander are the two that came to mind for me.

6. Thank You from:

Of course they made up the categories, I was just giving the other options so that people would have examples of some vehicles that wouldn't be considered the same. �� Thanks!

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by mfrasier View Post
    GMC Acadia, Toyota Highlander are the two that came to mind for me.
    This is what I was thinking as well. I'm guessing the "elite: part is probably a third row. So I would say is is a smallish/midsized SUV with a third row. The standard SUV is without the third row. The Full-sized is a slightly bigger SUV with third row and the Premium is a large SUV with third row. That seems to fall in my my experience with renting cars though we usually stick with a full sized car.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

9. Thank You from:

Ford Explorer
    Dodge Durango

It's just a classification of vehicle. If you are wanting a specific model call the rental car company and get clarification and then specify what you need.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Elite to me means luxury vehicles so the Traverse they give as an example wouldn't even be in it. I would think Acura MDX, Lexus RX models, Infinity QX models, etc. I would definitely call them and find out what the "elite" moniker provides.

Oh, LOL, and I see they say "standard elite" which is kinda funny since elite to me is not standard. So it must be some added feature, like someone else suggested, perhaps an SUV with 3rd row or maybe a large SUV vs mid-size? Premium or Plus might have been a better choice of words. Dunno. I suppose people could interpret those in a confusing way as well.
    TechnoAdult · Driver's seat ·
    TechnoTween · Britax Parkway SGL backless · Safety 1st Incognito ·
    TechnoKid · Britax Frontier ClickTight x2 · Graco Tranzitions ·

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    Elite to me means luxury vehicles so the Traverse they give as an example wouldn't even be in it. I would think Acura MDX, Lexus RX models, Infinity QX models, etc. I would definitely call them and find out what the "elite" moniker provides.

Oh, LOL, and I see they say "standard elite" which is kinda funny since elite to me is not standard. So it must be some added feature, like someone else suggested, perhaps an SUV with 3rd row or maybe a large SUV vs mid-size? Premium or Plus might have been a better choice of words. Dunno. I suppose people could interpret those in a confusing way as well.
    Yes! My point exactly in my post. Their categories are whacked. Chevy Traverse definitely is not elite!

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    Ford Explorer
    Dodge Durango

It's just a classification of vehicle. If you are wanting a specific model call the rental car company and get clarification and then specify what you need.
    I know it's just a classification, which is why I wondered what other vehicles might be considered in the same class. I don't know if any rental car company could/would guarantee a specific model.

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    I know it's just a classification, which is why I wondered what other vehicles might be considered in the same class. I don't know if any rental car company could/would guarantee a specific model.
    You might be surprised - I have coworkers that travel for work extensively and are have been able to call and see what is currently in the lineup and reserve a specific model. It doesn't hurt to try right

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard

Quote Originally Posted by SavsMom View Post
    You might be surprised - I have coworkers that travel for work extensively and are have been able to call and see what is currently in the lineup and reserve a specific model. It doesn't hurt to try right
    I can see them doing that a day or two ahead, especially at a location that has a lot of vehicles. A month ahead at an off-airport rental site is unlikely to do anything but laugh at that kind of request, I'm thinking.