It's been awhile...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Hello all!

Not sure if there are still people here that would remember me, but as you can see from my signature we added another one!

Driving a 2012 Odyssey with DS2 in the third row drivers outboard in a Parkway, DS1 in middle row passenger (seatbelt), DS3 middle row middle in a Peg PVC, and DD1 middle row outboard drivers in a Britax B-Safe.

Baby girl will soon be outgrowing the B-Safe (in the next 3 - 5 months) and will move into the Peg convertible. Debating whether to keep her drivers outboard or move her to center. DS3 needs a new seat... which brings me to why I'm here! I have no clue what's new/up and coming at the moment. Life with four (and navigating the foster/adoption system) has left me crazy busy with little internet time. :eek:

Was debating Britax Pioneer or Diono Radian for DS3 as well as debating switching up the two youngest's positions in the van. Are there other combination seats I should consider? DS3 is FF, 37lbs and 39" tall (all torso).

Gonna look around the site, just not positive how much time I'll have before I get interrupted, so figured I'd ask opinions as well. :)

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't like the Pioneer install much.

I would not buy a Radian for a forward facing child... Especially with a tall torso! He would likely outgrow booster mode before he met the minimum weight on it- and it doesn't make a very good booster anyway!

The Frontier, Nautilus, Defender, SecureKid are all decent combination seat options (and I think they are all in Canada.) I don't know what your budget is or how they would fit or what you'd like but in a van you certainly have options...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I don't like the Pioneer install much.

I would not buy a Radian for a forward facing child... Especially with a tall torso! He would likely outgrow booster mode before he met the minimum weight on it- and it doesn't make a very good booster anyway!

The Frontier, Nautilus, Defender, SecureKid are all decent combination seat options (and I think they are all in Canada.) I don't know what your budget is or how they would fit or what you'd like but in a van you certainly have options...

Not worried about budget and most likely would buy a dedicated booster down the road. I'm really looking for harness height, low profile seat, comfy for longer road trips. Not too worried about the install... I'm pretty experienced in that area. :D
Posted via Mobile Device

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
No help on seats, but hi!! IMO, the only decent combo seats in Canada are the Frontier and above. Pioneer too short and not as good install. I know you are more than qualified to install, but sometimes sucking, just sucks. So why not have something easier and get the taller seating height?

My youngest is outgrowing the PVC and I'm super annoyed there are pretty much zero other convertible options. Gotta kill her leg room (long legged kids with legs cramping and falling asleep), giganto that doesn't fit in any reasonable vehicle even though they like to claim it does (Foonf/Fllo), other seats that have to be installed at 45 or...hmm...crickets. Yup, pretty much nothing available.

Last edited:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
No help on seats, but hi!! IMO, the only decent combo seats in Canada are the Frontier and above. Pioneer too short and not as good install. I know you are more than qualified to install, but sometimes sucking, just sucks. So why not have something easier and get the taller seating height?

My youngest is outgrowing the PVC and I'm super annoyed there are pretty much zero options. Gotta kill her leg room (long legged kids with legs cramping and falling asleep), giganto that doesn't fit in any reasonable vehicle even though they like to claim it does (Foonf/Fllo), other seats that have to be installed at 45 or...hmm...crickets. Yup, pretty much nothing available.

Hi!! Didn't realize the Pioneer wasn't a clone... definitely want the harness height. What are the frontier clone options then?
Posted via Mobile Device

dogmelissa

I just went combination seat shopping for a tall-torsoed monkey: we liked the Graco Nautilus or Argos (virtually identical that we could see) much better than the Britax seats. You could also consider the Evenflo SureRide (convertible, but tall harness) though we didn't like the fact that it doesn't have an expanding head area and felt the cushioning at the top would push her neck forward. We're also going to look at the Harmony Defender but it seems to be out of stock in Calgary (US stock expected mid-Feb) so I'm not sure if we'll be able to find one to consider - or if you can wait to make your move.

Congrats on your new addition!

Melissa

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just went combination seat shopping for a tall-torsoed monkey: we liked the Graco Nautilus or Argos (virtually identical that we could see) much better than the Britax seats.

I think the difference is that the Argos has a no-rethread harness. And someone in another thread mentioning that the Argo has a restriction on using the top headrest height for harnessed mode (i.e. can only use top height in booster mode). I'll see if I can find the post that mentioned it.

We used the Nautilus in harnessed mode for a couple weeks for the youngest child and she loved it. Love the cupholders and cubbies and just how comfy it was. Unfortunately we had to give it back to the oldest in booster mode and use the Roundabout for the little one. She just flopped right over when sleeping and her head hung down and flopped. Horrible head slump. :( If you have a vehicle with more recline to the seat, it would likely work better than ours.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC