Clek Fllo or Britax Blvd CT for travel

U

Unregistered

Hi-

I have a Clek Fllo and a Britax Boulevard Clicktight. Which seat should I bring with me for an upcoming flight and vacation? It will most likely be gate checked for both flights and used in a rental car during the trip. Which would be easier to travel with (and/or bring in plane if there happens to be a seat available) ?

**also, already aware of safety recommendations for buying a seat and bringing car seat on plane but for the sake of this thread, I am wondering what is the better seat for travel if I have to check the seat.
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
There's no way for us to say which will go through the throwing of checked baggage better. Exam either one for damage at the other end, and have a plan B set up (know where the nearest Walmart is and what they have in stock as you and your child wait at the airport and someone goes to buy an emergency seat) in case your seat is either damaged or left behind (I've had my gate check luggage simply left at the gate, it went on the next flight. Many others have had gate checked strollers and carseats damaged).

The recommendations in place to use a seat on board are for the protection of the child if they're under 40 pounds/won't leave a seatbelt buckled, for the protection of the other passengers if they were going to be a lap baby, and the protection of the carseat since any checked luggage is not guaranteed to be returned to you, or in the condition in which you dropped it off. The general rule of thumb for travel is; if you need it on the other end, you don't check it. Your laptop with The Big Presentation, your wedding dress, your medications for the next day or two, and your child's lifesaving device.

Wendy

Dillipop

I personally wouldn't want to check either of those on the off chance that they were lost or damaged. $300-$450 to replace a seat is more than I'm willing to risk. If you plan on checking the seat, I'd look into the Cosco scenera next for a rearfacing child under 40 lbs and 40 inches. Super inexpensive, very lightweight for airport transport, and easily replaced at Walmart if it is lost or damaged in transit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I wouldn't want to travel with either of those seats due to the weight. But if you aren't buying a seat for your little one to be guaranteed a spot to sit, then I wouldn't want to run the risk of gate-checking either of them. Since your child must be under 2, I would think a Scenera NEXT would be an appropriate seat. Lightweight for carrying through the airport, easy to install both in cars and on the plane (if a seat is available) and inexpensive to replace if necessary.

lilti9er

I took the Clek Fllo on a trip just this past August. It was not easy...I had it on the go-go babyz travelmate deluxe which made it a breeze zipping through the airport. However, it is a really tall seat and had troubles fitting under the luggage area on the airport shuttle bus. I had to lower the headrest and lean the entire thing a certain way to somewhat get it out of the aisle and then I locked the brakes on the travelmate.

I used it on the plane and had to install it FF. It wouldn't fit any other way; it's very cumbersome. And it was a tight fit. My DD is 3.5 and 35# and she looked crammed on the plane. FYI, when she was 1.5 yrs old she was RF in a Chicco NextFit on the plane and was totally fine. Back to the Clek Fllo, I had issues installing it in our rental car, a jeep patriot. I ended up taking the ARB off and it was still a tight fit RF against the back of the front seats. My 5'7" husband was not comfortable driving b/c he had to move the seat up and so I ended up driving most of the time on the trip. Oh and somehow my mom got it loose one day when she leaned on it to get out of the car which has never happened in any of the cars it's been in at home so that was unusual.

So would I recommend bringing the Clek Fllo on a trip? Maybe I would take it again if I paid more for a roomier seat on the plane and if I knew I had a large car or van at my destination but if I didn't have any of those then I would not bring it nor would I recommend it either. I had an easier time with my Chicco NextFit during a previous trip. For comparison, the Fllo is 29# with ARB & approx 25# w/o. The NextFit is 25# but it is more compact so it doesn't feel as heavy as the Fllo.

Oh and if you're gate checking and wanted to take the Clek Fllo, Clek has the Weelee travel bag. It's padded internally and I've heard of many successful gate checks with it. Their seats were safe in the Clek Weelee.

rin2809

I agree with the others, I would not risk damage of either of those seats for checking. That is way too substantial of an investment to have it thrown around and possibly damaged.

Are you travelling to somewhere that you would be able to ship a seat to have it waiting for you, like visiting friends or family? If that is an option and you do not plan to use the seat on the plane, I would order a Scenera NEXT to be delivered there and save what you need to carry on your outbound trip.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the feedback about the Clek on the plane-- it is SO bulky that it makes sense that it would be crammed. I didn't even think about the shuttle bus. I know I will need to install into a car for transport to the airport, then into two different rental cars and also again for transport back to airport so I am leaning towards the CT for install reasons. However, I have a Safety 1st onside Air (similar to scenara) that I could borrow to bring but it's such a pain to install...bah. It is such a tough choice!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

U

Unregistered

Purchasing another car seat is not an option. Currently have one baby and 4 car seats: an uppababy Mesa she just outgrew, a Clek Fllo, a Clek Foonf, and a Boulevard CT for the babysitter. My life. Lol.

I am leaning towards click tight because it is so easy to install and am thinking of maybe looking into a travel bag for it to offer a little bit of protection.. However, I do have access to a Safety 1st Onside Air I could borrow but the rear facing installation has been difficult for me in the past and I don't know if I want to struggle with that in and out of all the cars we will be using on our trip. :/
Posted via Mobile Device

lilti9er

I don't feel so bad having 3 carseats (at the moment...I used to have more!) for my one child lol. I think you're on the right path with the CT. I would imagine the CT would be super easy to install in any situation especially with all the car swapping you'll be doing. I would look into getting a padded carseat bag; might as well get the clek weelee since you do have 2 cleks lol

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A travel bag will offer no protection for the child or seat. A box will protect the seat. That's how they're shipped from factories to warehouse and warehouse to store/home.

Wendy
Posted via Mobile Device

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I had 5 car seats for one baby at one point. :)

Considering that all of the convertibles you own are so heavy, I really think a $45 Scenera NEXT would be a fantastic investment. I just bought one and I can lift it with one finger! I have flown with a Roundabout and it was fine, but you couldn't pay me to haul a BLVD CT to an airport. I am actually looking forward to flying now that we have the Scenera NEXT!

U

Unregistered

A travel bag will offer no protection for the child or seat. A box will protect the seat. That's how they're shipped from factories to warehouse and warehouse to store/home.

Wendy
Posted via Mobile Device

I have the box-- not sure of the logistics of bringing the gigantic cardboard box through the airport though? Does anyone do that?
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:

brooksfamily

I have 1 child and 5 carseats. I flew recently with her in a Britax Marathon G3 solo, and if I ever fly with her again I am buying a Next. It was really hard to get a bulky seat on the plane solo on the return flight when the ticketing agent wouldn't allow me to board early. Not sure, if that makes you feel better.

That being said, I got through the airport with no issues with the carseat bungeed on a travel cart. I wore my daughter on my back, a backpack as a diaper bag on my front, and wheeled the seat on a cart. I wouldn't think a seat in a box would be much different. We got the cart at Target for like $20.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC