Travel Seat Recommendation

98hokie

We are flying with in January with our son who will be 14 months old. I am looking for a second seat that will be great for a 4-hour flight and 2-hour drive in a shuttle van. He is a lightweight (was 20 lb at 1-year appointment) and slightly above average height. I know I have seen Cosco seats recommended for this purpose. I guess I am wondering about how comfortable they are for such a long trip...if I spend a little more, can I expect more in the way of comfort? I would probably not use the seat much after the trip, but I would keep it as a back-up.

A quick look at Diapers.com sorted by price shows:

Cosco APT40RF
Evenflo Tribute Sport
Evenflo Tribute LX
Cosco APT50
Safety 1st OnSide Aire
Safety 1st Guide 65
Evenflow SureRide 65 DLX
Graco MyRide 65
Safety 1st Chart 65 Air
Safety 1st All-in-one Convertible
Britax Roundabout
Evenflow Triumph LX
Safety 1st Complete Air 65
Safety 1st Alpha Elite 65

I'm assuming the 65-lb seats are too bulky and heavy for travel. I would love recommendations or best bets from this price range (under ~$150).

Thanks in advance!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

I'd recommend none of those. The Coscos/Safety 1sts at 20 pounds will be very reclined. The Evenflos will be very reclined. The Alpha Elite 65 is never recommended. The Roundabout would be fine, but it's heavier. The Graco is large and bulky.

Most kids have no complaints on the padding, or lack thereof, in the carseat. They're wearing diapers.

Since he's older but a lightweight, the Cosco Scenera Next would still allow him to sit at a non newborn angle (unlike the other Coscos listed) and would fit better rear facing on a plane and in any rental/family car. The Scenera Next is also cheaper than the others, longer lasting than a lot of them rear facing (longer than the Graco, Britax, Evenflo Tribute/Triumph, equal to the Coscos and Safety 1sts on your list), lighter weight than all the others, and one of the easiest to install.

Wendy

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The Scenera NEXT seats that are solid colors (I think they are online only?) are really comfy. Since you have time and they are the same price as the print seats, I would order a solid color. We have a blue one and it is nice smooth cushy fabric almost like a wetsuit.

Order soon, though, and then as soon as you get it call Dorel and ask for the longer crotch strap. I don't know if it's necessary for a 14 month old, but it was totally necessary for my 32 month old and it's good to get right away since it will be needed later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aporthole

The Graco Contender ($99-$120 depending on sales) makes a great travel seat. The closed belt path makes it more comfortable once forward facing on a plane so the plane buckle doesn't end up behind the child's back. It is also fairly light weight.

The Scenera NEXT is great for strictly rear facing if you don't mind buying a different travel seat later once forward facing.

rin2809

For that age and size, I would go with the Scenera NEXT as well. Yes, it isn't going to last you forever, but at $45 it's worth the cost in my opinion. Plus it is so much lighter than just about anything else out there for carrying around the airport.

98hokie

We ended up buying the Cosco Scenera Next. It looks great! Any tips for the best/cheapest/easiest way to transport it in the airport? A strap or backpack system? Preferably something available on Amazon Prime?

Thanks all!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you don't check a rolling bag, I'd use the Traveling Toddler.

Otherwise, a folding luggage cart.

Wendy

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Are you bringing a stroller? The NEXT is so light I would just use the latch strap or tether to hang it off the handle of your stroller.

bnsnyde

We had 4 carseats to carry and all were similar to the Scenera Next, earlier versions, and even a 50 lbs. limit Maestro. We stuck some on our thumbs. They were light, lol. Not easy with that many seats but we did it.

Angie

Are you bringing a stroller? The NEXT is so light I would just use the latch strap or tether to hang it off the handle of your stroller.

OMG! I had no idea you could do that!?! I thought you couldn't use any of the seat straps as a carry handle. Why I thought that? I dunno. I should have been doing THIS all along!!! Gosh.

:)

AllieK

OMG! I had no idea you could do that!?! I thought you couldn't use any of the seat straps as a carry handle. Why I thought that? I dunno. I should have been doing THIS all along!!! Gosh.

:)

From my understanding, the LATCH strap is okay but not the harness.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC