Question Pushing on a carseat

U

Unregistered

My question is what should i do if someone started shoving my carseat around after it had been buckled in?
I cant really say as to how hard the seat was pushed over or if it was the base that was pushed or the top or what, they wanted to move the seat over just enough so they could push their drivers seat over so they could be more comfortable. I know the base isn't suppose to move over an inch when you push the seat at the belt path, I also presume you wouldn't use as much force checking the seat as you might to shove it over.

A little background on the question:
I couldn't much prevent it as she had already jumped out the drivers side and didn't bother to tell me her intentions till she was there. All I could do was yell no, to late by then, she gets mad at me. I wanted to just redo the seat cause at least that way I knew it would be safe as my personal understanding is once the seat is buckled you should in no way try to shove or move it like that in anyway, damage in some way can be done. Things were not resolved, Im pregnant and was very upset at that point. I have trying to find where this is covered and why they say not to do this, if it exists at all. i have pregnancy like you wouldnt believe! haha! Im presuming to some degree also that if the base should not move over an inch you shouldnt attempt to shove it past that.

Can this damage a seat if done forcefully enough?
So how should I handle this?
What are the regulations for a situation like this?
If it helps the seat was a Britax Convertible.
Any help with info or links would be Awesome!

THANKS!!!! :)

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'm not sure how hard someone pushed, but I'll often move the top of the seat gently to allow a front seat to back further. That assumes a proper install at the belt path, and that I'm not applying any sort of real force to the seat. More just slightly moving it.

Does that at all answer your question?

Wendy

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Sometimes seats get bumped and stuff, and usually it's not a big deal. I would just check to make sure it's still installed tightly at the belt path. If it is, no worries. If not, just go ahead and reinstall it.

We tell people to check for tighteness at the belt path both because that's where you're supposed to check and also because checking elsewhere on the seat (like the top) can loosen a good install. So if the seat is loose now, it's probably just because it got moved weird, not because anything was damaged or compromised.

nobody08

Yes! Both answers my question! Thank Y'all so much! I don't have to worry about it now. Haha! I will inform that next time to gently push the top of the seat if more room is needed, as I believe she was shoving the base of the seat but I can't be for sure. Im trying to constantly do research on car seat safety and considering taking the courses to be a tech! Improper seat safety bothers me. Thank Y'all soooooooo much!!!!!

I'm the orginal poster, after I originally posted I kept looking around and decided to register so I'm no longer a guest. :)

Last edited:

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I'm the orginal poster, after I originally posted I kept looking around and decided to register so I'm no longer a guest. :)

Welcome! You are in good company. I joined 2 years ago and now it's the only social media I check regularly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC