Baby outgrowing seat

lbergstrom

We've got three kiddos in a 2011 Honda Odyssey

The oldest is small for her age at 6 she's 13% for height and about 43 pounds. She's in a britax frontier

The middle child is 4 and about 40% for height and is about 36 pounds. She is Ina britax boulevard click tight.

The baby is 12 months and about 28.5 inches and 21 pounds. He is in a cybex Aton 2

I am wanting to think about what to do with the baby when he reaches the limits of the 30 inch height limit on the Aton. I kept my older two children rear facing until 4 and will do the same for him. I wondering if I should pass the britax boulevard down to him and buy something for the 4 year old (and if so what?) or buy him a good seat for extended rear facing. Seems to me I should get the 4 year old something as I would probably buy one less seat then...

Thoughts?

And thank you

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Just a question to start -- are you checking to make sure there is 1" above his head? My daughter had already outgrown the Aton 2 (by not having at least an inch above her head) a good 3 months before she hit 30" so I just wanted to make sure that he hasn't already outgrown it.

If he hasn't outgrown it and you can wait until January, Graco is coming out with a new 50 lb rear-facing convertible that might interest you. It's called the "Extend2Fit" because it has a panel that pulls out to give extra leg room.

For us, when my older daughter outgrew the Aton 2, we moved her into a Chicco Nextfit. Both that seat and the Boulevard Clicktight would be good options for extended rear-facing and should get your son all the way to 40 lbs rear-facing.

I am personally not a huge fan of the Clicktight convertibles -- I like a lighter seat that is less of a hassle to uninstall and move around. If you are loving your Boulevard, I would pass it down to your son and get a combination seat for your 4 year old. Scroll down to combination seats here for recommendations:
http://carseatblog.com/safest-recommended-car-seats/

If your oldest is mature enough for a booster, you could also get her a dedicated booster and then pass the Frontier down to your 4 year old and the boulevard down to the baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllieK

Like Nedra said, I would booster train the oldest, buy a dedicated high back booster, then shuffle seats down that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

aept

Like Nedra said, I would booster train the oldest, buy a dedicated high back booster, then shuffle seats down that way. Posted via Mobile Device

I agree. You might like the Britax Parkway for the eldest.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That would be my suggestion as well. If you have one of those kids at the bottom of the developmental curve that won't stay still quite yet, though, I'd probably get a different combination seat that is more likely to fit a small kid in booster mode since the frontier won't.

lbergstrom

Thank you everyone. @ketchupqueen my oldest will stay still but we do some pretty long car rides about 3-4 times a year so I've been hesitant to put her in a high back. Given that would you suggest the same?

@aept I will look into that.

lbergstrom

@Nedra

Thank you I will check him today. I may post a pic if I'm confused.

My four year old still falls asleep often in the car and feel she sleeps better in the boulevard because it is more reclined than the frontier. Gosh why is this so hard??!!!

Like I said my 6 year old is small...and she would stay put for normal car rides I do wonder if our long car rides make the 5 point a better choice for now?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
By 6 many kids are ready even for long trips, but not all. I think that's really a choice only you can make. I think you will probably end up with a dedicated booster in the next few years in order to get a good fit for her. You might get the booster and then have a back up plan if long trips become problematic- the cheapest would be that if you run into problems on the road you'll just pick up a Scenera NEXT for the baby and pass seats back down (though for many 6 year olds knowledge of that plan would be enough to ensure compliance with sitting in place even on long trips lol.)

lbergstrom

Thanks @ketchupqueen

She is totally compliant and able...perhaps it's me whose not ready??!!! It's so hard to imagine it's just as safe as a five point!

Do you have a high back you would suggest for a small stature child if I pass the frontier down to the 4 year old?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'd really suggest taking her to a store where you can try fit in your vehicle of different boosters on her. In general the Recaro Performance Booster, Cybex Q-Fix, Graco TurboBooster, and Jane Montecarlo all come to mind in no particular order as nice supportive seats for a young and small booster rider but what you desire in one will differ from what I might and the most important thing is fit in your car on your child. If you haven't seen it, this page has great info on ideal fit: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/child-boosters

lbergstrom

e9db1486ae4829edbedbf096f184b4f7.jpg
bbdcce6096b5377d549cd43a47670810.jpg

This is the 1 year old in the cybex

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
He definitely has at least an inch, so no worries there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC