What car should my sister get?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
My sister lives just outside New York. Her Honda Civic was dying on her today and so she's looking into getting a new (to her) vehicle.

She has one 2 year-old who is RF in a Britax Boulevard Clicktight. They are contemplating another child. Our mother also lives with them during the week. So they would need to potentially fit 2 car seats and an adult in the back on a regular basis. She needs something small and nimble for driving around and parking in NYC, but also big enough to haul up to 5 people and stuff.

Suggestions? I was steering her toward the Mazda 5 until I saw the crash test ratings....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Bump? She's kind of clueless about what to do. She's leaning towards a Forester because that's what we have, but I don't know if that's a bad idea, since she needs to potentially haul around 5 people.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well the Impala is big. Lol. Mileage sucks though.

Vehicle preferences are so individual. It's always easier to change out car seats than buy with specific ones in mind in my opinion.

SavsMom

I'd look at an Accord or a Camry. Both have roomy rear seats, great handling and could accommodate 2 car seats and an adult if needed.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Oh yeah! I forgot about the Accord! I tend to forget that some sedans are fairly roomy.

aeormsby

I haven't looked at it, but maybe the Mazda6 sedan. We have a Mazda3 and it's great for city driving and parking but tight for 3 in the backseat.

Last edited:

Keeks64

Malibu's are super roomy! Nice to drive too but not the best gas mileage

I just bought a 2016 Elantra but it's likely not big enough for 2 car seats & a passenger on a regular basis & I haven't had much chance to play around with seats yet - it's a pretty sleek car though and turns on a dime! Nice to drive

The Hyundai Sonata is similar to the Malibu too

MelodyoftheForest

I just test drove a 2014 Malibu. You could likely get two car seats and an adult in the back as long as one car seat is in the center. There is no headrest there. The mileage is actually quite good on the newer ones with the Eco setup, which is most of them. And great safety ratings. No real seatbelt overlap issues either.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC